APC Forum

My thumb was blown off half a section.

benrenyi4

i can not put it in any better words than old marine .......

That looks complicated. hope that they and you could restore as much as possible of the functionality of your fingers.

Did you have a black out around the time of accident?

Thats pretty sad...

Hope you will get well soon.

Take care always and stay safe.

I dunno... I've seen many explosive amputations (in Viet Nam and in my work with radiologists in the US), and that just doesn't look like one to me.

I'm NOT saying it could not be one, because I'm sure it could have been something like a thumb over a mortar muzzle when the shell lifted -- or some such.

But that looks very much more to me like a mechanical amputation, either by a flying object, a dull blade or 'bar', or perhaps very localized crushing.

Please understand: I am NOT a physician, and couldn't possibly be 'sure' in my opinion. I did spend 23 years working shoulder-to-shoulder with radiologists in a clinical setting, and I've seen a LOT of that kind of injury "up-close and personal" both in the clinical environment here, and in combat in Viet Nam.

So, I'm speculating that those photos are from something other than a pyro accident; or if they are from pyro, they are NOT from a device having exploded in the person's hand, but perhaps one of the above-described situations.

LLoyd

I hope that the op does tell the story on how it happened, he just kinda dumped it on the forum and left. maybe he just doesn't feel to good.

memo

Best of luck to you my friend, that looks painful. Hope you have a full recovery.

I'm still not fully convinced that's the poster's injury (at least, as-described). But for whomever was so-injured:

I, too, wish the person a good, painless, and fast recovery.

I know from some of my own "partial amputations" from cutting tools over the decades, that sensation almost never completely recovers properly -- and the worse the injury, the less-so.

So, I hope for him first for "function", and then, if God allows, recovery of sensations, also.

LLoyd

I'm still not fully convinced that's the poster's injury (at least, as-described). But for whomever was so-injured:

I, too, wish the person a good, painless, and fast recovery.

I know from some of my own "partial amputations" from cutting tools over the decades, that sensation almost never completely recovers properly -- and the worse the injury, the less-so.

So, I hope for him first for "function", and then, if God allows, recovery of sensations, also.

LLoyd

I would never discount your "hands on" experience Lloyd but there are some things that make me wonder.

Injuries look to be more extensive than just the thumb. See the x-ray and the pic following with the stitches on the back of the hand upstream of the middle finger. Obviously some pins and such in that finger (middle). The first pic flashed me back to age 8 and a short fused Zebra firecracker (one of the "real ones" back in the '60s), thumb and index a mess of blood blisters.

I'd consider an expert opinion, but the prospect of a hand-held salute looks like a possibility here. Again, I'm no expert and my pool of those kind of experiences are very small. I just know the kinds of folks that drift in here and the kinds of things they want to do.

I wandered in here a few years ago with some pretty primitive intentions and almost backed out based on a couple of incidents with some very responsible members here engaged in some very "innocuous" processes. Since I have acquired lots of overkill PPE and always err on the side of never having to post pics like that. I'm on All Ahead Slow for now......

That said, regardless of what happened, I wish a speedy and full recovery. No accident is ever a good one. It will be interesting to hear the details.

/m

I'd consider an expert opinion, but the prospect of a hand-held salute looks like a possibility here. Again, I'm no expert and my pool of those kind of experiences are very small. I just know the kinds of folks that drift in here and the kinds of things they want to do.

-----------------------------------

Otto,

That's what bothers me...I've personally seen about a dozen such injuries, and they all bear very clear similarities.

In his case, the 'other injuries' are not even remotely consistent with what I believe would have happened if a hand-held salute capable of explosively amputating the thumb had gone off in his hand.

I happen to have a friend who had that happen -- and it nearly de-fleshed his entire hand, and blew off two fingers and part of the thumb.

Keep in mind that in order to amputate the thumb and "only break" the bones of the middle finger, it would have had to have been taped to his thumb, and held at least a couple of inches away from the palm of the hand in order to do that little damage to anything but the thumb.

Like you, I am no medical expert, but I've seen my share of explosive injuries, and in my book "they just don't look like this". (or so...<G>)

Lloyd

You mean that you blend KClO4 + Sulpfur or that you just blend KClO4?

Wish you a quick recovery!

i can not put it in any better words than old marine .......

That looks complicated. hope that they and you could restore as much as possible of the functionality of your fingers.

Did you have a black out around the time of accident?

Thats pretty sad...

Hope you will get well soon.

Take care always and stay safe.

:blink: Jesus!!!!!!

Get well!!

I dunno... I've seen many explosive amputations (in Viet Nam and in my work with radiologists in the US), and that just doesn't look like one to me.

I'm NOT saying it could not be one, because I'm sure it could have been something like a thumb over a mortar muzzle when the shell lifted -- or some such.

But that looks very much more to me like a mechanical amputation, either by a flying object, a dull blade or 'bar', or perhaps very localized crushing.

Please understand: I am NOT a physician, and couldn't possibly be 'sure' in my opinion. I did spend 23 years working shoulder-to-shoulder with radiologists in a clinical setting, and I've seen a LOT of that kind of injury "up-close and personal" both in the clinical environment here, and in combat in Viet Nam.

So, I'm speculating that those photos are from something other than a pyro accident; or if they are from pyro, they are NOT from a device having exploded in the person's hand, but perhaps one of the above-described situations.

LLoyd

I hope that the op does tell the story on how it happened, he just kinda dumped it on the forum and left. maybe he just doesn't feel to good.

memo

Best of luck to you my friend, that looks painful. Hope you have a full recovery.

I would never discount your "hands on" experience Lloyd but there are some things that make me wonder.

Injuries look to be more extensive than just the thumb. See the x-ray and the pic following with the stitches on the back of the hand upstream of the middle finger. Obviously some pins and such in that finger (middle). The first pic flashed me back to age 8 and a short fused Zebra firecracker (one of the "real ones" back in the '60s), thumb and index a mess of blood blisters.

I wandered in here a few years ago with some pretty primitive intentions and almost backed out based on a couple of incidents with some very responsible members here engaged in some very "innocuous" processes. Since I have acquired lots of overkill PPE and always err on the side of never having to post pics like that. I'm on All Ahead Slow for now......

That said, regardless of what happened, I wish a speedy and full recovery. No accident is ever a good one. It will be interesting to hear the details.

/m

Thank you everyone concerned, my hand takes 1 years time slowly to be good, but the ear buzzing sound may not cure

blend KClO4 [/size]and S Sudden explosion

That hand is a mess but it isn't shredded or roasted as in a fireworking screw up. Most of what looks cooked is betadine, which isn't regularly used on burned flesh.

I had a recent accident with a small engine that sprayed flaming gas across my hand and even a week later my skin looks worse (except I've got all my digits) than the flesh in the pics.

Thanks for your consideration and I certainly defer to your breadth of experience in matters like this Lloyd. Even more thankfully, I have not been a direct witness to those kinds of injuries. As a relative neophyte here I am loathe to contribute much. I've got way to much to learn... It will be interesting to hear the continuing story from the "horses' mouth".

Quote: "Keep in mind that in order to amputate the thumb and "only break" the bones of the middle finger, it would have had to have been taped to his thumb, and held at least a couple of inches away from the palm of the hand in order to do that little damage to anything but the thumb." Perhaps the device was leaving his hand and not still in his grasp.......... Just supposing.

I do believe that sharing real details of incidents like this benefits all the population here. I introduce Dagabu and BurritoBandito as evidence. Both long time hobbyists with significant injuries from routine operations. The details of those incidents certainly impacted my thoughts on the journey as well as benefiting the population here to the hazards.

Thank you for the benefit of your experience. It is greatly appreciated by me....

/m

Otto,

I don't doubt that one possible scenario is that the 'device' was being thrown.

But as Patrick pointed out (aptly) there's no burning of the skin... no 'flash' injuries... no blistering, or even surrounding redness to indicate a burn! Its pretty clearly a crushing or inertial injury.

When you add to the pictorial evidence the fact that the O.P. posted this, "...my hand takes 1 years time slowly to be good.."

Sorry... but no potatoes on that deal. Such wounds are NEVER 'good' again -- at the best only healed enough not to bleed (often) anymore. NEVER proper sensation again, NEVER proper motility again. Yet, the worst he complains of after a year's time is tinnitus!

What turned out just 'questionable', after his last post in bright red, has become completely unbelievable.

And then, there's this: "...blend KClO4 and S Sudden explosion.."

Hmmmm.... Did he mean "blend in an electric blender"? I've blended KCLO4 and Sulfur often and in varied ways (but not in an electric blender, which I believe would remove my eyesight as well as my thumb). I've not yet experienced such amputations (at least, from that act)!

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd

Sry are we here now at 4chan? Sry for being upse4, but i don't have any understanding for people just posting pictures like this without any note before that and any informations.

Just posting pictures of an amputation is either to upset people or worthless, my honors to dag at this point again for how good he documented his accident even w/o shocking pictures and announcing them before it. Your story was a real good example of how things can go and what it takes for recory (or what you can call "recovery").

• Like 1

Blending perc and sulfur, maybe with a pestle and mortar or even a spoon, he'd be holding the tool with his thumb and two fingers. The tool could have taken his thumb off and injured the rest of his hand.

What turned out just 'questionable', after his last post in bright red, has become completely unbelievable

There is simply a lack of information to conclude something

He could be mixing 500 kg of the stuff remotely with a cement mixer with a blazing fire next to it, and additional bal bearings to mill it.

Blending perc and sulfur, maybe with a pestle and mortar or even a spoon, he'd be holding the tool with his thumb and two fingers. The tool could have taken his thumb off and injured the rest of his hand.

Yes Mortar

Mortar has several relevant meanings which further adds to the confusion.

There is obviously a language barrier but even an attempt at a description of the events would surely help with the confusion.

I also think the year remark may have been a doctor's prognosis on the injuries.

Has anyone perused his other pictures? Mainly the ones where he is lighting an undisclosed deflagrant in the palm of his hand? His sanity is in a seriously questionable state, regardless of how his thumb was removed. I do wish him an equitable recovery.

Caver,

To be fair, I've lit a fair bit of flash paper in the palms of my hands, both for just the 'fun' of it, and on-stage.

I do a 'chemistry of pyrotechnics' lecture to high school honors chemistry classes. One of the 'feature' parts of the lecture is the introduction, where I stand before the class in short sleeves (nothing up my sleeve) and discuss how 'magical' pyrotechnics are.

At the end of that short introduction, I bring my OBVIOUSLY EMPTY hands together in front of my body, and a large ball of flame erupts from between them.

Flash paper? Yes. Hurts? No. (well, it might if you held it close enough to your face to singe eyebrows! <G>)

So don't judge him merely on that one thing, unless you fully understand what it was he was 'deflagrating' in his hands.

But his 'recovery' report (or prediction) is WAY off for that sort of injury. Such never really recovers... it just heals up enough not to bleed all over dinner.

LLoyd