APC Forum

PiroArt86

That's a good question (ref. Magnesium vs. Magnalium) - I re-read the topic from the first page and it looks like he used Magnesium in the Red and Green Wave formulas, and Mg/Al (Magnalium) in the Violet Wave formula.

Another APC member "PyroPractic" has some Chinese "Red Wave" formulas posted on his website (link below), they call for Mg/Al. (**I've never tried them, so I can't speak to them personally**)

https://pyrocomponent.com/pyro-wiki/chinese-compositions/display-shells-formulas/ds-color-formulas/

Reference the process of making them - also a good question. I was under the assumption that generally speaking, Red Star comps with Strontium Nitrate aren't made with water/Dextrin, as they may not dry completely due to hygroscopicity of SrNO3; but there is clearly 5% Dextrin added in.... (Has me curious too).

For Red Star formulas I've used either NC if there isn't enough Parlon to bind with Acetone (or no Parlon at all). NC gets expensive but certainly helps prevent hygroscopicity, and drys fast to boot!

Hopefully the OP will respond to you with more clear answers!

Charles