APC Forum

PiroArt86

Hello!

1lb bp rocket(3" inch shell).

Stars:

green wave/red wave + win 20 in the center.

video:

• Like 4

wow! nice rocket! wath do you use for the delay?

wow! nice rocket! wath do you use for the delay?

Thanks, delay: 20mm bp 60/30/10 + 10% ti

Would you share your red and green wave formula. And please specify the mesh size and shape of the coarse metal you used.(I guess it would be titanium) Thanks.

very nice red and green colour stars..!!

• Like 1

Would you share your red and green wave formula. And please specify the mesh size and shape of the coarse metal you used.(I guess it would be titanium) Thanks.

Stars formula:

Red wave:

SrNO3 - 45%

KCLO4 - 10%

Mg(150 mesh, needle form) - 20%

PVC - 15%

S - 5%

C - 5%

above 100%:

Dextrin - 5%

Al(100 mesh, spherical) - 10%

Al(150 mesh, spherical) - 10%

Green wave:

BaNO3 - 45%

KCLO4 - 10%

Mg(150 mesh, needle form) - 20%

PVC - 15%

S - 5%

C - 5%

above 100%:

Dextrin - 5%

Al(100 mesh, spherical) - 10%

Al(150 mesh, spherical) - 10%

• Like 2

Homemade cake, test.

10 tubes(23mm) with adjustable angle.

Stars: red wave/green wave + winokur20 glitter, recipe above.

Video:

• Like 2

awesome cake, very profesional! :o

how much b.p did you use for lift the stars?

I see that tubes as joined together one after another, which fuse as used? I see it very fast
Edited by Aspirina

awesome cake, very profesional! :o

how much b.p did you use for lift the stars?

I see that tubes as joined together one after another, which fuse as used? I see it very fast

Thx Aspirina :)

Lift 3g classic bp 75/15/10.

Quick match in a tube, inserted into the holes, and through it (visco/quick match) and covered with duct tape.

(sorry for my English)

Your cake was very nice. Did you use pistons to lift the stars?

I'd recommend against using metal mortars that are not buried. If a tube in your cake got clogged, it could produce some nasty shrapnel. Cardboard, fiberglass, and HDPE are safer alternatives.

"Your cake was very nice. Did you use pistons to lift the stars?"

----------------

'Looked more like they were lifted with black powder...

(hint -- "sabot" <G>)

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd

A sabot increases the diameter of a projectile to the size of its barrel. I'd think piston would be more appropriate, but whatever you say. :)

Blue, that's the case with some sabots -- most commonly for some kinetic (non-explosive) AP rounds. But, a sabot is not required to surround the projectile in order to qualify as one; they often trail the round. In fireworks, for some hundreds of years, the traditional term used for your 'piston' in fireworks has been "sabot".

Some use the term 'wad', but that is also not correct, unless the thing used IS a wad... that is, slightly larger than the gun i.d., and compressed to fit into the tube. A sabot is smaller than the i.d. and is often used to cushion a delicate shell against lift force, or to help uniformly lift all stars in a mine to the same height. Those in mines are often perforated to allow lift gasses to mix in with the stars.

I'm not a schoolmarm. You can use the term you wish to use.

Lloyd

Your cake was very nice. Did you use pistons to lift the stars?

I'd recommend against using metal mortars that are not buried. If a tube in your cake got clogged, it could produce some nasty shrapnel. Cardboard, fiberglass, and HDPE are safer alternatives.

I always use a piston with a hole to lift the stars.

About the material I agree, I know that metal is not the best in pyrotechnics, thanks :)

That's what I'm talking about right there. That's a nice long hanging effect. Love it. What are the compositions?

That's what I'm talking about right there. That's a nice long hanging effect. Love it. What are the compositions?

Thx Sparx88!

Chemical composition(D1 glitter stars mod):

KNo3 - 53%

S - 18%

C(airfloat) - 11%

Al(150 mesh) - 7%

NaHCo3 - 7%

Dextrin - 4%

Boric asid - 1%

Edited by PiroArt86

Yup... the gold glitters are among my favorites, too; and I especially like the sodium bicarbonate as a delay agent.

LLoyd

Thanks piroart for the D1 comp. I did notice after I asked that you mentioned it already. It's one of the many star comps Ive yet to make. I have made winokur 20 with large flake alum. Not as good as alcoa 120. Needs to get some from hobby chemical supply. Have you tried wino 19? That one uses granular magnal 100-200 mesh and it really flashes big and bright but not as dense.

Edited by Sparx88

Thanks piroart for the D1 comp. I did notice after I asked that you mentioned it already. It's one of the many star comps Ive yet to make. I have made winokur 20 with large flake alum. Not as good as alcoa 120. Needs to get some from hobby chemical supply. Have you tried wino 19? That one uses granular magnal 100-200 mesh and it really flashes big and bright but not as dense.

Yes, i used winokur 20/19, each was magnalium(not granulated, 160-200 mesh).

Winokur 20 long tail, long delay between flashes.

Winokur 19 short tail, short delay between flashes(flash more often).

• 2 weeks later...