APC Forum

Nitril glove fell apart while mixing crackle...

Ubehage

While mixing some crackle today, I was trying my new Nitril-gloves. I have seen videos of people mixing crackle and other Acetone-bound stuff with these gloves, so I was actually looking forward to having a glove that wasn't so damn hard to clean when I'm done.

While kneading the crackle-dough (while it was still wet), I began noticing my fingers becoming VERY cold.

So I looked at my hand, and the fingertips of the glove was gone! And my fingertips was all black, covered in drying crackle...

I rushed in, and began scraping it off my fingers while keeping it under running water.

I managed to get my fingers clean, although it's evident that a few layers of skin is now missing.

My fingers BURN right now!

What can I expect from this? Will I get sick tomorrow?

Every nitrile glove I've ever used is quite vulnerable to acetone. If you want something reusable that will stand up to acetone, get some butyl gloves. They're usually thicker, but hold up really well and can be washed pretty easily.

What formula did you use? Under normal circumstances, you'll be fine. If you got a bunch of abrasions or micro-cuts on your fingers, you might have been exposed a little bit. Either way, you'll probably be fine. Just keep an eye on symptoms.

Besides cuts and scratches, acetone will dry your hands or fingers out. It dissolves the oil out of your skin. It's not as bad as some solvents, but it will be irritating at times. I'd suggest getting some lotion or moisturizers on your hands. It wont help immediately, but it will rehydrate your skin and make your hands feel better faster.

• Like 1

Decades ago we used to wash our hands in acetone to clean polymers and paints from our hands.

If you got a cut on your hand you could wash it off with acetone and it would stop the cut from bleeding

and dry it up and quicken the scab over process. But nowadays people are concerned about the cancer

causing elements in acetone but back in the day.......men were men..... and cancer was nothing to worry about. :-)

An open cut would be your biggest risk if any.

• Like 1

Acetone feels almost as good as potassium nitrate in an open wound

I find that the black 9mil nitrile gloves hold up much better, but still weaken some. As mumbles says, butyl gloves are much better.

Edited by Maserface

As a plumber I use acetone and MEK based chems every day. The black nitrile gloves last me all day.

On the other hand, the HF blue gloves well let the chems find every nick in your skin in mere moments.

Playtex kitchen gloves are best if you can find them.

• Like 1

Update:

I did get sick.

I don't know for sure if it is related, but the next day my gut and chest hurt like someone punched me, and I lost all ability to keep food or water inside. And it has been ongoing for the entire weekend.

It got better yesterday, and today I feel ok.

I'm definitely considering this a lesson.

That sounds psychosomatic or 'only diagonally related' to me. I've had LOTS of acetone, NC, AND crackle composition on my hands before with no ill effects.

However, you did NOT say if you were using a double-based powder. Inhaling nitroglycerine fumes WILL make your heart palpitate, and can nauseate you, and create BOOMING headaches!

Don't relate one to the other -- they're only related by the fact that you were making crackle, not because the constituents made you ill by skin contact.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Nitriglycerine is also absorbed by skin. It causes your blood pressure the fall, cause of relived NO. Those headaches are terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, bismuth is quite non toxic and is actually an active ingredient in Pepto Bismol (pink stuff for upset stomach). The acetone should have passed by pretty quick assuming it did anything and the most likely culprit I believe and as mentioned, would have been the NG contained in double base smokeless powder assuming that is what you used. But again, the NG should have passed by fairly quickly and the pounding headache would have been a tell.

Maybe coincidence? You didn't go to the pub later that evening by any chance?

• Like 1

Just so you know, bismuth is quite non toxic and is actually an active ingredient in Pepto Bismol (pink stuff for upset stomach). The acetone should have passed by pretty quick assuming it did anything and the most likely culprit I believe and as mentioned, would have been the NG contained in double base smokeless powder assuming that is what you used. But again, the NG should have passed by fairly quickly and the pounding headache would have been a tell.

Maybe coincidence? You didn't go to the pub later that evening by any chance?

I have been convinced that it was just a coincidence.

But, it had me thinking that I got sick the day after. And I learned new things about both Bismuth and Acetone :)

That sounds psychosomatic or 'only diagonally related' to me. I've had LOTS of acetone, NC, AND crackle composition on my hands before with no ill effects.

However, you did NOT say if you were using a double-based powder. Inhaling nitroglycerine fumes WILL make your heart palpitate, and can nauseate you, and create BOOMING headaches!

Don't relate one to the other -- they're only related by the fact that you were making crackle, not because the constituents made you ill by skin contact.

Lloyd

I completely agree with Lloyd. Although as was pointed out - nitroglycerine is readily absorbed through the skin. It is a smooth muscle relaxant, not only to the smooth muscle around blood vessels ( hence headache and compensatory reflexic tachycardia and potential drop in blood pressure ) but also to the gastro-oesophageal sphincter ( and other sphincters ). All of these are known side effects of medicinal GTN preparations. The latter effect probably gave you acid reflux which would cause the nausea and a burning pain most likely. Gaviscon or a similar reflux medication would help.

It is the nitric oxide donor species that is responsible for these smooth muscle effects and a noble prize was recently won for it's discovery. 50% of people are prone to headaches with such preparations, I am one of the 50%, the other half are very lucky not to know what they are missing. It also gives me reflux.

Edited by rsambo
  • Like 1