APC Forum

Need help with powering my new star roller!

Chunn7704

Hey guys i just built my new star roller, i am using a windshield wiper motor. what do i need to do as far as being able to run it from the 110 house outlet? I am not even sure which wires i need to use and which ones i dont. Any help would be appriciated, im excited about getting this thing going.

Chunn,

First off, post pics - that will help a lot.

You have to convert wall current (110VAC) to 12V direct current. This requires a power supply of some kind. Depending on the current requirements of the motor, you might be able to get away with a discarded power supply from some other appliance. All depends - post pics of the motor, and list any ratings or specifications stamped on the motor. If there are none, use any part numbers you can find to look up the specs.

Kevin

Edited by Nessalco

Its a 12 volt motor thats about all i can read on it. i tried a laptop computer charger but i guess its wasnt strong enough. the low speed worked fine, but when i tried to hook up the fast speed it would sputter a little bit and would never turn on. i hooked it up the my car battery just to make sure the motor wasnt defective and it worked fine.

He's talking about a power supply unit (PCU) for a personal computer (PC). The few I'm familiar with tended to do what you already did. Laptop power supply, or another small adapter for electronic devices. You might want to check the specifications of your motor, and make sure the power supply you have is sufficient.

The problem you are running into is not enough amperage on the smaller power supplies. Even though the wiper motor is only 12 volts, it still draws a lot of current. Most small electronics transformers only put out a few hundred milliamps

You can always get a cheap trickle charger. That is what i use. 2-10 amps. You need at least 2A. Col on a PC you would need a 300W power supply.

Edited by dynomike1

thank you for that info guys i will look into getting something more sufficient.

The high speed is what im gonna need to be able to roll stars correct?

Chunn, what Greg mentioned is the issue. 12v stuff (lights, motors, etc) made for automobiles draw a lot of current. You need something that will provide the current.. like Mike said, a trickle charger. As far as speed, I have a variable speed drill that powers mine, that way I have infinite speed control. I use many different speeds depending on what I am doing. Your setup will work great.

Most automotive chargers are rectified, but not filtered. You need a battery connected to them to constitute a proper "power supply".

Chunn, your best bet may be a motocycle battery with a small 12V charger connected whenever you're running the roller. My guess is that the motor will draw something betwee 3A and 5A on 'high', and that will be WAY more than any 'trickle charger' will deliver. You'll need a 'real battery charger that has a charge range setting for small batteries, like garden tractor or motorcycle types.

But I must say this: If you're not electrically competent, building a power system to drive a DC motor which will be used around explosives is a BAD idea! Find someone who can do it for you, and who understands all the issues (including protection from sparks because of the explosives).

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thank you. i appriciate the info guys. And yes ur right, not very good at the electrical side of things. what about this comp charger i just found it says output is 20V 4.5 A. Just trying to use something i have on hand. If im being stubborn just tell me to shut up and get a bat charger haha

A pc psu (power supply unit) will give you at least 25A at 12v dc, it has every kind of protection onboard (over voltage, over current, thermal etc) and even a fan to keep it cool :) They can usually be had for free but they dont cost much brand new, a cheap 500w atx supply is under a tenner.

That charger won't help, it is 20v you need 12 v. To get you setup working, take a cheap 12v battery hooj itup to a charger and hook it up to the star roller. This way even a 330 mAmp charger is suffcient. You also need to put a fuse into that circuit, i front of the motor.

Don't think about replacing your motor with 110V one, 12 V is touch safe (meani g your body resistance is high enough to prevent 1A fro flowing through you).

110 V will pump a lot more through you.

Edited by schroedinger

The usual start for a DIY power supply is an ATX power supply from a retired desk to computer. There are several youtube vids about how to do this. Most ATX PSUs will supply 5v at lots of amps and 12v at less amps. Your other consideration is how fast the motor turns with 5v or 12v applied and whether either of these speeds is usable.

Remember that cars put out lots of 12v so some things can use several amps, your psu needs to supply enough to start and run the motor.

ok. i appreciate all of you. Thank you. i will be on the look for what yall have mentioned.

I was running a charger on mine till the charger went out. But anyway what i don't like about using a straight lawnmower battery is the roller runs faster than i like. With the charger i can run 2a. or 10a. depends on what i am doing. The best i can remember is a good DC variable speed switch is kinda expensive when a charger will do the trick. Just my experience. Brad I guess you did good with the drill, i tried that and i couldn't keep the speed set on a 1/2" drill. I even put a hose clamp on the trigger, still couldn't hold it.

Edited by dynomike1

hEY GUYS I GOT IT TO WORK I USED A CPS HOOKED UP THE YELL AND BLACK WIRES AND 12V WAS ACHIEVED. THANKS FOR ALL YALLS HELP GUYS. JUST GOTA FIND OUT HOW TO ROUGH THE INSIDE OF THE STAINLESS STEAL BOWL SO THE STARS WITH ROLL BETTER INSTEAD OF SLIDING.

Chunn,

That bowl could be made of glass or teflon, and its finish would NOT affect the rolling! The cascading action comes more from the interactions of the stars with one-another than with the drum's surface. Starting cores is the most challenging situation.

To accomplish proper rolling with small loads, tilt the drum back toward more vertical (as much as needed). To get proper cascading action with large amounts of stars, tilt it more toward horizontal.

I can assure you that you can roll in that drum without 'scuffing' it. It's technique, not surface finish.

Edited by lloyd

Thank you Mr. lloyd, your alwaz there to give good info. thanks again. i will deff give it a shot.

Thank you firebreather, good info aswell. i guess when i figure out when i need to slow it down i will deff do that. when would u want to slow it down?

i rolled my first batch last night, they came out as rasberiries of course. ill just keep practicing. i used peppercorns i heard they were easy to start out with. i was using tiger tail formula. what size is good for 3 and 4 inch shells?