APC Forum

Indoor safe winter projects

OldMarine

The weather has grown cold and the air is dry so static and frostbite are ever present. Unfortunately the pyro bug doesn't hibernate and must be fed.

I'm practicing my tube rolling and learning spollettes but would like to know what else I can do on those days that Mother Nature says "Don't touch the chems!"

Well, I just found something to do on another thread thanks to Mumbles.... Build that black match frame I've been wanting but putting off..Oh yeah, and the black match to go on it!

I like to paste cone rocket headers and roll bottom shot cores during the winter when I get too cold outside.

I've got a small workroom in my house with a table saw, bandsaw and drill press along with a 60"x24" butcher block workbench I can do something with during the cold weather.

My separate shed is pretty much a no-go during winter because it's damned cold out there.

I made up several comps and some prime for my upcoming gerbs and a abundance of BP half of which is granulated and half not.

The only blackmatch I have at present is robbed from commercial QM so I'd like to make my own. After that I'm kind of at a loss on how to occupy the time in a fruitful manner.

A question or two come to mind;

Are there parts of mines that can be pre-made before the stars etc.are made?

How do the tubes and BM I'm rolling need to be stored after drying?

Edit: If this seems an inane subject, remember that I read for months before I posted, months before I made anything and now it'll likely be months before I can build anything.

I have smelt the smoke...

Edited by OldMarine

I've never really stored tubes any way special. In a bag or box or bucket. Whatever is convenient. As far as blackmatch, I usually cut mine into 3 foot lengths and stored them in capped cardboard tubes. I used to use PVC, but switched to a shipping tube.

I usually did tool building in the winters, or at least after new years. If you make the superior cylinder shell, it's a good time to roll casings as well. It's also a good time to mill chemicals or non-combustible mixtures. I could never really resist, and would do some light live material work. Stuff like pressing spolettes, or making lift "eggs" for gasoline fireballs (dragons breath).

I'm not too scared of making spollettes I plan to use as timers for some mortar barrages and I'm rolling tubes for some cakes I plan to build for my greatest love aka Granddaughter!

Edit: I started this thread because many guys, like me, would lose momentum in this if they didn't have

I'm building the match drying frame and hopefully some other stuff y'all recommend!

I know I, like many guys get frustrated when the momentum slows and you want to throw your hands up and say "I tried but...."

I don't wanna be that guy.

Edited by OldMarine

You think it's safe to make spolettes right now? I'm having a real hard time resisting the urge to make stuff, too. If spolettes are safe enough, then I was thinking that 1/4" BP semi-endburner rockets might be safe. Ah, maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I should probably roll some tubes, as my stack of saved kraft paper grocery bags is getting tall and my supply of hand-rolled tubes is getting low. I was just working on some tooling, which I didn't get a chance to finish tonight but I probably will tomorrow. Making frisbee sorting screens would be another "inert" project. Punching holes in hemis, fusing hemis, cutting cardboard disks, making blueprints. I'm sure there's something to do.

Making cases for shells and rolling match pipe. Lot of reading.

Kevin

This is the best time to look at the Pyro tool list and build new ones you will be needing this year.

A good project for everyone is drying frames, sorting frames, star roller, bigger ball mill, formers,

tooling, storage containers, clean and organize the work area, label all of those partial bags and

containers of comps.

reloadable wheel frames. standard and chromatrope. Frames for dola`s maybe useful for later on. If you run out of things to do you could try your hand at some lancework, a 4ft x 2ft frame should keep you busy for quite a while.

• Like 1

You can never have enough card discs to hand in the building season, so some discs in each useful size plus some with holes in for fuse.

I have plenty of lumber and beer boxes so I need to get building and cutting! Took the rod from an old lamp which will make several wheel axles. Need to break down and get an Allpax gasket cutter for discs. Scissors ain't cutting it.(pun intended)

short offcuts of steel tube,end ground at 45 degrees make cheap disc cutters for use with a press. Ideal for cutting small discs 10 at a time.

post-10522-0-86299400-1453480519_thumb.jpg

If you think discs are bad, you should try cutting out dozens of these with a pair of scissors :)

post-10522-0-07907800-1453481280_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

Col, I am sure you could have a custom "scrapbooking" die made, for those shapes :)

Oldmarine, ill tell you what I do, I move into the basement. I do NOT do any "live" work down there, but I do just about everything else. Cut/wax tubes, cut paper, cut and punch discs, roll casings/saettines/shots. I am going to build some work benches one of these days, match making frame would be good too (thanks for the idea)!

My goal is to be prolific enough to stay busy in the fall rolling/cutting/pumping stars, milling, granulating, etc. Get all of my "paper" ready over the winter, and assemble everything in the spring. Mike Swisher has said that this is how the old one-two man pyro companies used to do it.

I'm lucky in that I have a 12x12 shop out back. I can heat it up with a space heater, turn it off and stay warm for a few hours. I came out here today because work was snowed out.

Made me some 5/8" gerb/driver tooling from oak, cut tubes and drilled some dowel for Saxons. I'm going to try some green gerb comp and see if it'll work without burning out the tube too quickly.

Wanted to build some paper racks but the big box store is closed due to snow.

OldMarine, please keep an eye on the humidity of your shop if you're working this time of year. I shock myself several times a day on door handles, cars, and various items around work and home even without having to worry about live materials being around.

Yeah, I'm not messing with comps at home. I go to my brother's barn to do my milling and mixing. Just trying to keep from going stir crazy by getting stuff ready. Our snow is going to be here for days so I can't get at my chems for a while. Too damned cold up there anyway :-(