APC Forum

making NC lacquer with ping-pong balls?

PIL

Is Celluloid ping-pong ball a substitution for guncotton when preparing NC lacquer?As far as I know,Celluloid is low nitration-degree NC with camphor added as the plasticizer. Will it affect the strobe and dragon eggs performance?

Thanks

"Lacquer" made from ping-pong balls contain camphor and fire retardants. I doubt it would do well in comps like DE. You'd be much better off making NC from acetone + shotshell powder if that is available to you.

Kevin O

Is Celluloid ping-pong ball a substitution for guncotton when preparing NC lacquer?As far as I know,Celluloid is low nitration-degree NC with camphor added as the plasticizer. Will it affect the strobe and dragon eggs performance?

Thanks

I've used ping-pong balls for making NC Lacquer. It's worked fine for making pyrogen for use with electronic ignitors, and fine for coating black match to make basic time fuse. I have a small amount of single base smokeless powder that I've used with DE's.

I tried a couple of different DE's comps and came to the conclusion that the mesh of my MgAl was a factor in not getting the result I expected - but very impressive nonetheless.

Maybe just try it and let us know how you go. I would try DE's with ping-pong lacquer myself except I'm off on another tangent - but pyro related of course :)

Cheers.

I started with PingPong balls before I found a supplier of NC (which is now closed :( )

To my experience, there is only little difference when using the NC Lacquer as binder for prime. In dragon eggs. that difference is close to non-existing.

Cellulose lacquer for guitar refinishing may be a better supply. Ping Pong balls are not now usually NC and likely contain fire retardants.

Added;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Lt-Cellulose-Clear-Lacquer-Hi-Gloss-Car-Paint-Ready-For-Use-RFU-FREE-CARRIAGE-/221405624151

Just one of hundreds on ebay, try in ebay in your country.

Edited by Arthur

• 1 year later...

Iv'e used ping pong balls before to make NC lacquer for BP pyrogen and it worked fine. It takes an extremely long time for them to dissolve though and I even cut mine up into small pieces to speed the process, as other members have mentioned here they must have not been 100% pure nitrocellulose.

Pingpong balls are ok for my De, I confirm, as written by Ubehage. Nevertheless I suspect that the storage of DE made with ping pong could be a problem (some of my old DE batches just flashed without cracking.😒), maybe because of the camphor still sublimating, and making the egg porous???

Thank you Arthur for this link... Not cheap, but worth trying.