APC Forum

Glue guns

dynomike1

I was glueing some black match on some time fuse on some 1/4" inserts, and while my back was turned this gun shorted out and popped like a cheap firecracker. I will dissect it later to see what happend.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20151201073609.jpg

Edited by dynomike1

Had that same problem last year, cheap gun popping and sending a whole heap of sparks around. That second i was happy that i always unplugged it when using it on devices and when pluged in having it away from everything.Replaced it now with an gun that has a loading station and a bigger glue chamber for longer cordless working times (no battery).

Yea i had just plugged mine back up, when it done it.

Had the same thing happen with a cheap glue gun. Super important to never use it while it is plugged in. Sent spark shooting out.

Happens to glue guns.

You could say that was a close call.

I worry for all of the pyros on youtube that pour 100g of flash into a tube, stick the fuse in and literally pour the hot glue onto the flash powder about an inch thick until they have an end plug.

Here's a switch I rigged up for my glue gun. It stays on, heating the glue gun, until you step on the pedal, which cuts power.

post-10587-0-26714200-1449044634_thumb.jpg

post-10587-0-85969700-1449044640_thumb.jpg

Based on this switch. Just add a cord, outlet, and pilot light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-Heavy-Duty-Cast-Aluminum-Foot-Switch-15A-SPDT-Electric-Pedal-Momentary-New-/400421860259?hash=item5d3b00b3a3:g:MZoAAOxyPepRjWj-

Kevin O

My own experience is that i'm forgetful.

Of course the gun gets unplugged before use - if you don't forget to unplug ;)

My solution:

No electricity at all on the pyro table, next plug a few metres away, short cable. Foolproof.

I have a dimmer switch from a light connected in line. This reduces the temperature of the gun to 'just melting point'. My hope is that running it cooler will reduce the chances of such an incident happening. I also have a "dock" for mine. So when I'm using it power is not applied to it, as it is off the dock. I also ensure the dock is far away from any combustibles.

I personally just use bee wax to secure the time fuse to the shell instead of hot glue, works pretty well, and it also protects the fuse from the moisture from pasting etc.

Had that same problem last year, cheap gun popping and sending a whole heap of sparks around. That second i was happy that i always unplugged it when using it on devices and when pluged in having it away from everything.Replaced it now with an gun that has a loading station and a bigger glue chamber for longer cordless working times (no battery).

I've been looking around and it seems the only "cordless" glue guns I find all have batteries. A crafting school I do some work for has actual cordless guns heated by the docking base but they are so care worn the labels are illegible. Do you have a brand/model you recommend?

Edited by OldMarine

The Surebonder CL-800 is a popular choice. It has a detachable cord which can be directly integrated into the holding base. I believe you can also use it corded if you want.

The safest route is probably just to reduce or eliminate the use of hot glue. There's not much that hot glue is commonly used for that can't be accomplished with tape or string. It's not as bad or inconvenient as it seems, trust me.

Basically all i use glue guns for is glueing fuse in plastic ball shells.

Closing salutes in little big bangs fashion, wax dipped crossetes, attaching top rope to ball shells, attaching rising effects or sturdy lift cups.

There are a few glue guns available that utilize a docking station to power the glue gun

and after it is lifted from the docking station there is no electricity being used. The glue

gun will stay hot for a minute or two while gluing your items and then return it to the docking

station to heat the glue gun up again. Just position the docking station in a safe area away from

energetic materials.

I use hot glue for purposes other than pyro that need (require) non-energized dispenser guns. If I can acquire and multipurpose one? Huzzah to me. I can bill it to work.

Unplugging and such gets old fast and you sometimes just say "Screw it".

You know you've done it.

Edited by OldMarine

Having seen vids of people building things hot glue seems ubiquitous but I sometimes wonder where the hockey puck sized lump is going to end up in some devices.

Having seen vids of people building things hot glue seems ubiquitous but I sometimes wonder where the hockey puck sized lump is going to end up in some devices

Hot glue works well for running a bead of glue to attach several pieces together but when someone talks about using it to plug the end of a report or "banger" you are creating a heavy piece of shrapnel. It is much safer to use rammed clay as a plug for such a device as it will shatter under the forces of the report when it goes off, compared to a hot glue plug which could travel for a distance and take an eye out. A cup shaped end disc glued into place would be the safest alternative. I have used foam backer rod cut into short pieces and glued into place as end caps for devices used in close proximity, they are light weight and can not travel any distance after report. Drywall compound is another material that works well as a plug and when dry it will fracture and turn to powder after the report goes off. Plenty of better/safer options then a heavy plug of hot glue for these applications.

Edited by mikeee

I was glueing some black match on some time fuse on some 1/4" inserts, and while my back was turned this gun shorted out and popped like a cheap firecracker. I will dissect it later to see what happend.

That will happen to all glue guns, sooner or later.

A pro tip is, to keep the glue gun "far away" from anything that can ignite. And unplug it before every use.