APC Forum

[Question] Sodium Metabisulfite

Proxima

I bought bonide stump remover thinking it had potassium nitrate. apparently it doesn't contain any at all but has a active ingredient Sodium Metabisulfite. My plan was to use it in a smoke contraption. I was really skeptial about using it but after some research it sounds pretty dangerous. can someone point me to do's and don'ts with this and if I can use this as a subsitute because I'm already leaning toward no. Also are there any Oxidizers besides Potassium Nitrate. Please help.

You need to buy Spectracide Stump Remover, it contains potassium nitrate. There's one other brand which uses metabisulfite.

Sodium metabisulfite is pretty much useless for pyro compositions, as far as I know. It might be a decent oxidizer for aluminum or magnesium, but I wouldn't recommend it. It decomposes with heat or in acidic solutions to release quite nasty sulfur dioxide gas.

"Are there any other oxidizers?" - If you don't understand chemistry, you shouldn't be playing with random oxidizers. Stick to proven mixes with KNO3 for now, don't experiment with chlorates or perchlorates unless you know what you're doing.

Another stump remover that is potassium nitrate is Hi-Yield. As far as I know sodium metabisulfite is useless for pyro. LOL if your into home wine making, it's used to sterilize the bottles just prior to bottling the wine.

Another stump remover that is potassium nitrate is Hi-Yield. As far as I know sodium metabisulfite is useless for pyro. LOL if your into home wine making, it's used to sterilize the bottles just prior to bottling the wine.

I was thinking that, but you should only use food grade bisulfite for killing wild yeast in wine or stopping a fermentation. Industrial grade chemicals sometimes contain heavy metals.

Edited by Differential

Well yeah, It was actually meant as a joke (with a nugget of truth in it)