APC Forum

Chlorinated PVC pipe for making roman candle

pyrodoc

Hi,

Can we use CPVC pipe for making a roman candle.

Diwali festival is coming and want to make roman candle.

I am not getting much time to roll paper tubes. hdpe is best of course. But, considering the low amount of lift Charge is CPVC usable.

Doc

... Also roman cadles develop a lot of heat, which will melt the tube before finishing all shoots.

That was my first thought.

Traditional candles with a delay comp between stars/inserts get silly hot. The visco timed delay/ sawdust type run cooler but I still wouldnt risk using pvc.

• 3 weeks later...

just remember: PVC WILL NOT SHOW UP ON YOUR X-RAY

This is incorrect. PVC pipe has binders and other additives that *do* show up in X-rays, not nearly as well as bone or other material but it does show up. See the article HERE. However, that's not to say that using PVC pipes in place of a paper tube is a safe thing to do.

This is incorrect. PVC pipe has binders and other additives that *do* show up in X-rays, not nearly as well as bone or other material but it does show up. See the article HERE. However, that's not to say that using PVC pipes in place of a paper tube is a safe thing to do.

I carry around pp plastics from an explosive-accident back when i was a late teenager. Mostly in my left hand, some in my abdomen, and a single thing in my left nutsack. (Well, those are the ones i know about.)

Back when the accident happened, they weren't able to get good enough images on the x-ray, to do anything about it. Good thing it's mostly cosmetic at this point.

What i'm trying to say is, even if they can get some shades on the x-rays, and remember... The bits i'm carrying with me isn't more then a couple of mm in size. While tubes and fittings may show up, fragments are a bit more... difficult.

But to each his own. If you think PVC is a good idea... Nothing we say can over-rule, or convince you anyway.

B!