APC Forum

Bottle rocket

FLpyroBP

What can I use for a stabilizer on a bottle rocket type firework. Or does anyone know where I can buy some stabilizing sticks from. Been searching the web and haven't found anything yet my not be calling it the right name.

What bore of rocket are you using?

For 5/16" bore rockets, two bamboo skewers tied together is sufficient; bamboo skewers are commonly available at grocery stores.

FLpyroBP depending on the header size and engine lenght either use long skewers or cotton candy sticks. The type square type works very nice.

I'll try it out it been searching for just the normal kind they use on standard small bottle rockets but can't find them.

You can use literally everything (don't use skinny people !) that's long and narrow, or comes close to being a stick. Preferably it is straight, but bamboo isn't perfectly straigt and that's no problem. Search in a nearby forest for straight sticks, it's easy, you don't have to spend money on it :)

The dollar store usually has bamboo skewers which are about 10-12" long.

You could cut the length down to minimize the weight.

They also used to make the bamboo place mats from small pieces of bamboo weaved into the mat.

You could also try taping them to paper straws which are light weight.

The small plastic stir sticks that they use for coffee might also work.

Plenty of options if you think outside the box.

Many plants and grains have thin shafts that would work for a bottle rocket. (wheat and wild grasses)

Edited by mikeee

Are you looking for these? Shoot me a PM and I'll send some to you. 12-3/4" long by 3/64" wide, round.

They are perfect for bottle rockets, the 1/4" ID tubes X 2" long fly perfectly on these.

gallery_9798_102_20129.jpg

Actually 3 spaghetti noodles taped together in 3 points worked for me (Had nothing else at hand). But there was an other big problem. 7 out 10 rockets will come out of a daybox without the sticks. Also do not forget about rats and other animals if you think about storing them.

It's try once do never again.

@Dag those sticks look interesting, whar are they? Sticks for the oil evaporators from the china store?

• Like 1

It's not environment-friendly but for verry small bottle rockets you can also use a straw.

For small bottle rockets I also used spaghetti noodles as well, yes ;)

They work, but then you need specific launch pad and matching guides on the rocket body. Stick you can suspend in just about any hole / pipe.

Why a special launch pad? The larger rockets with fins are simply placed on ground. What are those fireworks they look like a rocket with fins called but launch like a mortor