APC Forum

Metathesis reaction does not work for me

THEONE

Mumbles. Thanx for these advices. Ill purchase some na clo4 with my next order of chems, and make some tries...

What?!! You can buy it???

Man, I thought the only way to get it was to make your own ;).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

In France, it probably is. Unless you turn to eBay, and take your chances with customs.

But i'd happily be proven wrong. Buying in bulk, in France, and ship it to Sweden, means it wont really pass customs on the way to Sweden...

B!

Wsm, mrb.

Yes, ebay coming from Ukraine, and taking the chance with customs. Until now it worked just fine. You may get in touch privately with e_2718, he might send chemical to you as well, France or sweden, Who knows... Good luck

Note: WE always agréé to label the chems ad caco3 instead of kp, or na2so4 instead of naclo4... 😁

Edited by Sulphurstan

I think this metathesis primarily operates on the principle that sodium perchlorate is much more soluble than anything else. This can help to cut the losses. At 0C, ammonium perchlorate is about 1/3 as soluble as sodium chloride so it will preferentially precipitate. I'm sure the devil is in the details though, as in how much and what concentration of each to optimally drive this metathesis. Let us know what you discover if you try it out.

My inclination would be to start with a stoichiometric ratio with volumes and concentrations to give about a 80-90% of saturated NaCl solution at the end. 300-330g/L of NaCl. Salt mixtures behave oddly, as ionic strength can further crash certain materials out.

Maybe industrial ratios or procedures could be found too.

Wow, i looked into google brevets, nr US3218121 A, and i m not sure anymore i ll try it.... seems to be rather difficult on a hobby level.... yield...?