APC Forum

Finished Shells for Fall/New Year

Wiley

This was posted on FW, but I thought some folks here might like to have a look.

Hey all, just thought I'd post a few pictures of the shells I finally got finished up today. I'll be sending some of these up as soon as we get some rain to test a few changes I made to the design of some of my shells.

Most of the shells with two or fewer breaks are lifted with 3FA at 6.25% of the shell weight, and all of the longer, colored multis are using 2FA at 8% of the shell weight. I opted for the heavier lift chiefly due to the fact that my shells are a rather sloppy fit in the mortar for some reason. My case former is 2.6" in diameter, since that's what matched the OD of a spiked and pasted bottom shot based on a 2.5" OD core. I use 70# paper to roll cases and paste my shells in, and spike with doubled up 20# hemp, but there is still a gap about 5/16" wide between the shell and mortar wall. Additionally, my 2FA is the same size as the coarser particles of commercial 2FA.

My 3 breaks are about 10" to 12" long depending on what's in them, and range from 1.5 pounds to just a hair over 2 pounds. They, along with anything bigger than a single break, will be shot from 20" deep HDPE guns, buried and seated on a 4x4.

IMG_2622%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_2626%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_2631%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_2633%5B1%5D.JPG

Here are a few more pieces from the arsenal. Most of what you see are salutes, including the peanut shells. Those, along with the ground salutes on the right, are part of a little "battery" I plan to fire in the fall sometime. The salute cannons will be playing a role in that too.

The shells leaning against the flower pot are all consumer sized 2, 3, and 4 break multis, all with little bottom shots.

IMG_2648%5B1%5D.JPG

I finished my first two 4" with the rinfasciature method today. #38 has a small canulle and 8g of booster, and #39 has a large canulle with no booster at all. I knew that a 4 was much bigger than a 3, but I didn't realize just how big until the things started scarfing down 3/8" color stars like popcorn. Should be real pretty.

I tried a little different method of stowing the leader than I normally do. When I was first confronted with the task of stowing a leader, my hands automatically curved it and taped it to the side of the shell. I realized afterward that I'd been watching a lot of Maltese videos recently and had unconsciously copied the Maltese method; the method I used on the 4s is generally how it's done in Italy.

IMG_2652.JPG

Edited by Wiley

Your can skills are looking good my man. Christmas wrapped and ready for deep space exploration...don't forget the videos!

Oh, there will be video. I decide that 39 is a weird number, so I built another 4" today, a color-to-report. Made the whole shell, including the BS, in roughly 5 hours using the rinfasciature method. It's a heavy sucker, and should look (and sound) pretty nice.

Matched BS

IMG_2655_1.JPG

Case rolled

IMG_2656.JPG

3/8" stars

IMG_2657.JPG

3/8" and 1/4" stars

IMG_2658.JPG

Full

IMG_2659.JPG

Closed

IMG_2660.JPG