APC Forum

Pyrex alternatives?

boblangdon

I've managed to make "pyro-grade " benzoates and carbonates VERY cost-effectively, and am thinking I could make larger quantities quickly and efficiently.

The stumbling block, of course, is equipment costs invovled in making 50-100 lbs at a time.

I don't think I want to invest in 20L (5 gallon) pyrex ware.

What are the alternatives?

Will good-quality Stainless Steel resist the effects of benzoic acid (et al) without leaching unwanted material?

What other choices are there?
I'm sure chemical "factories" don't use 10,000-gallon borosilcate containers.

Edited by boblangdon

What about ceramic-coated or "graniteware" stock pots?

Would they suffuce?

Granted it probably wouldn't last long, but at <$70 for 20000ml containers, I could afford to replace them regularly.

The same size in borosilicate would be $400+ (and I'd probably break them).

:-(

If you don't need to heat anything, then HDPE would be ideal. If you do need to heat it, then I'd look into stainless steel. It will hold up to benzoic acid, and should be resistant to copper sulfate and other salts. You may want to buy a cheap one, or find something smaller scale at Goodwill to test though.

The enameled pot you posted probably would work fine as well as far as I can tell. I'd watch for scratches and chips like you said. I suspect the metal underneath would be attacked if it were ever to be exposed.

Thanks!

I will be heating the C₇H₆O₂ in order dissolve it in water.

Good to know I can (probably) get away with the low-cost, enameled container.

In fact I think I have one in the basement.

I know I have a 5-gallon SS pot (although that's for cheese making ;-).

I'm not so much worried about damage to my containers (although I certainly would prefer not), but I don't want to contaminate my my product!

:-)

You could possibly buy a ss pot and spray it with spray on enamel if you wanted to Edited by Milyan720