Attempt at flying fish

DaMounty

shell - 35mm film canister - filament tape spiked

burst - 4fa (window screen granulated)

stars - TT with 20% Mgal

fish - regular visco cut to 3cm lengths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpbEC5iNfw&feature=youtu.be

20% MgAl is to much to me - Just looking for an excuse to fire a shell :D

Can't wait to get into colors (Saran for sale anyone?)

DaM

Edited by DaMounty
  • Like 1

I thought it looked pretty good. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Here is my 1" canister shell with glitter star glued to shell and flying visco fuse

• Like 1

Gunna have to buy me some of that flying fish fuse, aswell. Regular visco doesn't work.

Dam

Regular visco doesn't work.

Dam

Some of it does... the cheap chinese stuff they use on mortars works. It has to have almost no lacquer, and burn quicker than 1/30. It also helps to prime the ends.

I used visco and it worked fine as you can see in my video and yes I primed the ends of the fuse I'm still waiting for my flying fish fuse to get here but the video I just posted is just 3mm visco

Excellent another experiment tonight then. I will just try them by themselves.

Cheers

Edited by DaMounty

Whats wrong with the audio?

• 3 months later...

Time to revisit the Flying fish. This ones a little better.

shell - 35mm film canister - filament tape spiked

burst - 4fa (window screen granulated)

stars - TT mouse terds with 5% MgAl

fish - regular visco cut to 3cm lengths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTz3mJ9sMj8

For the time being, I've given up on flying fish. I think I have a curse with the shit; every time I've tried using it something goes wrong: Had a time fuse fail to light (only shell I've made that failed), Had a flowerpot (again only time that has happened, ect. ect. ect. All in all, I've made five shells and every damn one has failed in one way or another.

• Like 1

I hear ya. Flying fish for me is like kryptonite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys cutting the fuse at an angle and priming them? If you prime them make sure whatever liquid you use has BP mixed into it. A final sprinkle of very fine granulated BP to give it texture helps.

If you use only NC lacquer to prime and then dip into BP it doesn't always work that great. NC can make a fire block where the BP burns off and the dry layer of NC protects the fuse and it doesn't light. If you mix BP into the NC lacquer it burns almost like regular BP and is much more likely to light whatever is underneath it.

I don't know if it's needed but I always dip the other end in something to keep it from lighting. I broke up a bunch of plexiglass into small pieces and put it in a jar with acetone. It takes a while to dissolve but makes a thick lacquer that makes a great fire block. You can also use various glue that uses a fast drying solvent. Adding things like graphite, charcoal, baking soda, glass beads for fiberglass resin, etc helps to increase the fire resistance.

A flying fish shell also doesn't need a lot of burst. It just needs to pop open so the fuse lights and is in a central group and then "swims" away as the fuse burns and propels itself thru the air. If this wasn't a family site I would make a dirty comparison/joke.

Some fuse is more energetic than others and propels itself better and travels further. I actually like 1/8"/ 3mm visco for flying fish as it is some of the most energetic fuse with it's fat powder core. I also came across some perc based visco that has a silver powder that almost looks like flash and is extremely energetic. It was also a great price and I now wish I had bought every last bit of it but I have a few hundred meters left and it should last a while only using it for flying fish.

And if you use regular shell construction methods you shouldn't run into problems. You can paste/tape less layers which speeds things up. And if you use a film canister, which I don't like the plastic, you can put a wrap of paper around it to help fire seal it if having problems with flower pots. But it only takes a second to roll a paper canister of a similar size and make something that will bio degrade over time.

• Like 1

I used visco and it worked fine as you can see in my video and yes I primed the ends of the fuse I'm still waiting for my flying fish fuse to get here but the video I just posted is just 3mm visco

Where are you getting the flying fish fuse from?

• 3 weeks later...

I got my flying fish from a skylight deal for free, because I ordered over $77.00 of stuff. They have that deal around once a month.