APC Forum

FLpyroBP

I am new at this hobby and have made some basic firework stars with what I have : potassium nitrate, charcoal(airfloat) sulfur,dextrin,aluminum powder, sodium nitrate , and boric acid.

My question is aside from tiger tails is there any other stars that I can make with these materials or what else should I purchase to make some different effects or colors. I have been cutting my stars instead of pumping them and/or pressing them. Thnx

• Like 1

Select "More" on the menu bar and you will find the formula database that contains a number of star comps.

Do a google search for pyro, fireworks, star, comet, formulas and you will find a number of resources.

There are a few digital pdf. files out on the internet that contain a large number of formulas if you search for them.

There are a few pyro retail websites that also have some formula databases to work from.

Use the search function on this website and you will find a number of articles written with formula's.

Is you al flake or atomized and witch size?

Some comps you can make are:

C6 or 8.

Willow of mystery.

If the al is atomized D1.

KNO3 white.

Al whites.

And sodium based yellows.

You should invest into a chlorine donor like pvc, saran or parlon. Some red gum and perchlorate, strontium carbonate/ nitrate, copper oxide and barium nitrate (watch out as it is a poison, first experiment with the others).

• Like 1

schroedinger

My aluminum powder is just something that I created up from a formula I got online from aluminum foil and charcoal rolled in my ball mill for like 5 days. It's completely powder no flake

If the powder turns everything silver and stains like hell,its flake aluminium .Your ball milled product should be this kind. Atomized aluminum is grey without metallic luster Edited by PIL
  • Like 1

Phil that wont happen as he used charcoal to inhibit oxidation, but you are right the powder he got is flake aluminium.

Atomized al is made by spraying molten al into an inert gas flow.

With that al you can't make al glitter stars and after 5 days it will be to fine for flitters.

But you can make white stars.

Use 5 KNO3, 3 Sulfur, 2 Al,( 1 Red Gum or (0.5 Schellac + 0.5 dextrine) or 1 phenolic resin). For a fast white.

As you don't have an organic binder you can also go for 5 KNO3, 3 Sulfur, 3 Al, + 7% Dex and bind with boric acid solution. Prime with a slow bp with + 10 Al.

For both formulas it is best to mill the sulfur, kno3 and dex together and screen in the Al. Never mill the Al into the comp.

I will add that you can make a good yellow star with the sodium nitrate and aluminum. Look up pirotex2005 on youtube for this.

To add more variety, experiment with rolling the stars for changing effects.

Just exchange two parts KNO3 for NaNO3 to get a yellow. But it is better to add 3% chlorine donor like parlon or 5% pvc to clean up the flame.
  • Like 1

Phil that wont happen as he used charcoal to inhibit oxidation, but you are right the powder he got is flake aluminium.

Atomized al is made by spraying molten al into an inert gas flow.

With that al you can't make al glitter stars and after 5 days it will be to fine for flitters.

But you can make white stars.

Use 5 KNO3, 3 Sulfur, 2 Al,( 1 Red Gum or (0.5 Schellac + 0.5 dextrine) or 1 phenolic resin). For a fast white.

As you don't have an organic binder you can also go for 5 KNO3, 3 Sulfur, 3 Al, + 7% Dex and bind with boric acid solution. Prime with a slow bp with + 10 Al.

For both formulas it is best to mill the sulfur, kno3 and dex together and screen in the Al. Never mill the Al into the comp.

I made a new batch of aluminum powder which I only milled for 2 days which made is a little more course. I tested a little bit and got some nice sparks out of it. Going to order some red gum and a few more Chems. When using this formula above what is the ratio water/alcohol 75/25?

Edited by FLpyroBP

Hi, I am new as well and getting ready to roll my first batch of stars. I am using the veline mix from skylighter. I am wondering how many 1/4" stars will be produced from 1 pound of mix. I need to know how many seeds to thow in my roller in the beginning. I don't want to put more than I need and end up with a bunch of undersized stars. Also, how many stars does a 3" shell take? Thanks!

Hi, I am new as well and getting ready to roll my first batch of stars. I am using the veline mix from skylighter. I am wondering how many 1/4" stars will be produced from 1 pound of mix. I need to know how many seeds to thow in my roller in the beginning. I don't want to put more than I need and end up with a bunch of undersized stars. Also, how many stars does a 3" shell take? Thanks!

There is a problem wright there. If you don't use enough cores you will wind up with a mess. I guess you can use this as a reference, i use #9 shot for cores, for 1lb of comp i would use 2 teaspoons of cores.

There is a problem wright there. If you don't use enough cores you will wind up with a mess. I guess you can use this as a reference, i use #9 shot for cores, for 1lb of comp i would use 2 teaspoons of cores.

Thanks dynomike1!

Starting the cores is a slow process, so it is wise to make a large quantity of cores at one time.

You will use them up over time and not have to start a batch every time you want a different colored star.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have read many star formulas that contain red gum which is not available in the place I live, can it be be substituted with any other material ?

Phenolic resin is probably the next closest material. Otherwise you may want to look into shellac, rosin, colophony, Vinsol, Polyvinyl Butyral or some other organic resins or binders. None of these are guaranteed to be sure fire solutions unfortunately. They'll need to be tested and tuned.