APC Forum

Magnesium powder in black powder fountain

insutama

Would it be safe to mix a small amount of magnesium powder 200 mesh with some black powder and ram it into a tube for a fountain ? i have done this with iron powder and it looks awsome im sure magnesium would be much nicer but i dont know how safe this is ? i looked on youtube and it looks like lots of people have done it but who knows how safe it is i thought id run it by you guys before i attempt this.

i kinda figured damn i got like 4.5 lbs of 200mesh magnesium still trying to find what i can use it for lol

Desensitize the magnesium powder in potassium dichromate solution and use it in color stars the same amount as magnalium. If you don't care about the shelf life of stars, you can use untreated magnesium. Edited by PIL
  • Like 1

very intresting how long would they last if i used untreated magnesium ?

Actually,quite long. The key is to keep stars bone dry. Without water the stars hardly go bad. Stars which are stored in ziplock bags with desiccant have a shelf life as long as a year(I use 100 mesh magnesium).However when the star comp become moist,it releases ammonia gas which is a sign of deterioration .So I suggest binding the star with alcohol or acetone

I'll have to try a small batch to see how well it works I think my magnesium is flake though so I'm not sure how well it will glitter

I am sure that it won't glitter. Magnesium is so reactive that no dross will form .Strobes that call for magnalium cannot be made with magnesium. Magnesium color stars are superior. A prime composition added magnesium is very powerful.

rocket fuel BP 60%

red iron oxide 10%

magnesium 10%

Potassium Perchlorate 15 %

Binder 5

And you can save some perchlorate

ah okay that makes sence so in veline color stars I can substitute magnalium for magnesium ? I'm still waiting on chemicals for making colors but when I get them I'll try using mg and see how it compairs to mgal thanks for your help