APC Forum

potassium nitrate flash powder. not so flashy.

danz409

futile? do you have any suggestions? please share.

It’s not futile. I have ball milled aluminium powder that I bought at 200# atomised down to 800# flake dark. Not all of it will be flake but it works a lot better than just atomised, especially with perch

PotassiumNitrate and Magnesium 50%/50% is a good mix for salutes in the fx industrie. Keep it dry and keep safe!

You’re insane recommending mg flash to newbies, that an explosion waiting to happen

Well - THATS uncomfortable, huh? I cant believe this discussion has gone into the toilet so damned fast. I fear for the future of the hobby, not to mention this board. Can we not moderate ourselves? Let me share an old axiom from my EMS career - "Just because you know how, doesn't mean you should". I sure hope we pull this one out of the crapper, folks. This is getting downright scary.

• Like 1

justvisiting:

I have ventured into making many types of flash about 25y of adventures in this hobby. I would rest assure that the nitrate flash is a pretty safe mix. It is very common in todays pyro industry especially in cake inserts. Many swear by it, as a better alternative to the 70/30 standard for boosting shells . I am not a huge fan of the light output upon the break of a shell. It tends to ruin the effect if it is a charcoal star or dim effect. As for sensitivities , standard flash will pop with a 22 cal. And im not so sure about the nitrate flash. As for friction sensitivities im not 100% sure but if I recall it is less as well. The best thing I would suggest is get your hands on some good literature pyro related and study like crazy. Lots of fun and more experienced comps can be approached with confidence this way , and not jeopardize ones safety from not knowing .

I love reading the threads on flash. They are always quite entertaining. The only better threads are the locked threads. I see the word "flash" in the title and put the popcorn in the oven because it's gonna be a great show.

Dear god ..... pop corn in the oven !!!!!!! Lock this thread!!!! Thats so dangerous people lose fingers .... eat'n in a frenzy .Make sure you read all the literature you can on cooking popcorn ...wear proper protection . goggles , gloves , blast shield :unsure:

• Like 1

I love reading the threads on flash. They are always quite entertaining. The only better threads are the locked threads. I see the word "flash" in the title and put the popcorn in the oven because it's gonna be a great show.

Oh yesssss! I just crossed this thread, read a few contributions here and there, and though to myself "oh oh, some of you guys don't really know what you're talking about", one of you will eventually have to regret..." And the popcorn contribution expressed 100% my feelings: little corn seed plays around in the oven, and then "paf", little corn seed is gone"

Edited by Sulphurstan
  • Like 1

At the risk of offending anyones "Machismo", I thought we might be a little kinder and gentler? I made mistakes, we all have, but some things just don't 'forgive' well - ya know? I have not been doing this since man discovered Sulfur, but I've been in it for a while. I like a good laugh, and recognize a 'caution' when I hear one. Not everyone does. I'd just hate to see someone hurt. We need not make the news, friends...

• Like 1

Just an FYI:

5-3-2 actually has a lower ignition temp than 70-30 perc...... not to mention what sulfur does for friction sensitivity.

Like they always say: There ain't no 'safe' flash. Treat it all the same.

Edited by PhoenixRising
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...