APC Forum

antimony trisulphide needle vs dark pyro

SideGlance

Seller shipped me antimony trisulphide dark pyro instead of Chinese needle. How will that affect a glitter effect ? I am making them reship me the correct stuff but I was just curious. antimony trisulphide dark pyro is a finer powder 325 mesh and increases the sensivity in flash and is used mainly in dark reports ? Thanks guys

Chinese needle is more a name than anything as the stuff I have received doesn't actually resemble "needles". It is usually a 200 mesh powder which should be so fine that you can't feel any grains or texture. Dark pyro is 325 mesh powder and just a finer powder and more reactive and faster burning. If you have it give it a try in various glitter formulas as it should still work. It may just give faster and smaller flashes.

I have been told by a highly respected professional pyro that antimony trisulfide can actually be replaced with sulfur in glitter formulas. It may change the color, size, and speed of the flashes from what was intended but should still make the glitter work. I actually usually use a formula that only contains sulfur and no antimony when I make glitter. It makes for a star that is dirt cheap and still looks great. In case anyone wants to try making a glitter and don't have antimony on hand.

Also, antimony trisulfide is actually quite toxic and one of the more dangerous chemicals pyros work with. So make sure you are careful with it and always wear a good half face respirator. Never use those throw away paper "dust" masks like those used in hospitals as they are junk for filtering out dust and not their intended purpose.

• Like 1

I actually usually use a formula that only contains sulfur and no antimony when I make glitter. It makes for a star that is dirt cheap and still looks great. In case anyone wants to try making a glitter and don't have antimony on hand.

I've also had some good successes swapping out Antimony Trisulphide for Sulphur in both glitter formulae and white star formulae. Still prefer good old D1 for a glitter effect though!

Never use those throw away paper "dust" masks like those used in hospitals as they are junk for filtering out dust and not their intended purpose.

Hospital masks are designed to stop stuff (which really refers to water based aerosol droplets) getting out, not the other way around! Very poor for catching solid dusts.

I did once try some paper dust masks bought from a hardware store for when using Aluminium and Charcoal powders and provided they form a decent seal around your face then they'll work out mostly alright for what we want to achieve (I'm talking the dust we produce passing chemicals from one container to the other during star production). The cheaper ones do exactly stuff all and in fact I once spent an afternoon wearing one whilst making up a few batches of Aluminium fuelled stars and when I took it off and blew my nose there was a distinct glittery quality to it.