APC Forum

sulfur added to perchlorate/aluminum flash powder composition.

Diorakal

Guys does sulfur adds power to the report of a perc/al flash powder or it will only increases the sensitivity of it? Anyone please answer me because im really confuse about it.

Hello,

There is no need to add sulfur to a Pot. Perchlorate & aluminum flash powder, as adding sulfur will just make it more sensitive and less stable, and possibly lead to a trip to the hospital or the graveyard.

You just need the right aluminum powder for your purpose.

• Like 1

Sulfur won't add power to the flash but will sensitize the flash powder.

A safer way to make powerful flash is to use the best low micron aluminum flake powder you can get,

Generally Eckart Super-H 5413 Dark Flake Aluminum is considered right up there with the best but any low micron dark flake will work.

If you can't get the right aluminum powder and do risk adding sulfur just make sure that your sulfur is acid free and that your Kclo4 is good quality with no chlorate contamination, I wouldn't do it, but its your life.

Stay safe and take care.

• Like 1

Hi exo thank you for the reply. Now my doubt about this sulfur thing have been clarified.

Hello,

There is no need to add sulfur to a Pot. Perchlorate & aluminum flash powder, as adding sulfur will just make it more sensitive and less stable, and possibly lead to a trip to the hospital or the graveyard.

You just need the right aluminum powder for your purpose.

Sulfur won't add power to the flash but will sensitize the flash powder.

A safer way to make powerful flash is to use the best low micron aluminum flake powder you can get,

Generally Eckart Super-H 5413 Dark Flake Aluminum is considered right up there with the best but any low micron dark flake will work.

If you can't get the right aluminum powder and do risk adding sulfur just make sure that your sulfur is acid free and that your Kclo4 is good quality with no chlorate contamination, I wouldn't do it, but its your life.

Stay safe and take care.

Thank you for your clear explanation exo i really appreciate it.

If you are using good sulfur that is acid free like rubber makers sulfur, it shouldn't make flash less stable but will probably be a bit more sensitive to friction, shock, and static. Sulfur melts and burns at a fairly low temperature so it does make it easier to ignite.

Sulfur has been added to flash for a long time. It likely doesn't increase power but may slightly change the tone. However, it is usually added to make flash cheaper since a part of the expensive aluminum is being replaced with cheap sulfur. Since it makes it easier to light a cheaper aluminum can be used that isn't as fine which helps to further reduce cost.

If you handle flash safely like you should be doing and take safety precautions like minimizing open and exposed comps, not using metal tools and using binary mixing when you can, etc then perchlorate flash with sulfur can be handled without exceptional risk, but as with any pyro comp, there will be a risk.

Are you really interested in an increase in power or an increase in sound output?

• Like 1

If you are using good sulfur that is acid free like rubber makers sulfur, it shouldn't make flash less stable but will probably be a bit more sensitive to friction, shock, and static. Sulfur melts and burns at a fairly low temperature so it does make it easier to ignite.

Sulfur has been added to flash for a long time. It likely doesn't increase power but may slightly change the tone. However, it is usually added to make flash cheaper since a part of the expensive aluminum is being replaced with cheap sulfur. Since it makes it easier to light a cheaper aluminum can be used that isn't as fine which helps to further reduce cost.

If you handle flash safely like you should be doing and take safety precautions like minimizing open and exposed comps, not using metal tools and using binary mixing when you can, etc then perchlorate flash with sulfur can be handled without exceptional risk, but as with any pyro comp, there will be a risk.

Are you really interested in an increase in power or an increase in sound output?

Hi flamthbkr thank you for your response. I'm much more concerned about the sound output sir, does it deepens the report if i add sulfur? And if whenever i want to add sulfur to my flash composition , 70% perc 15% al 15% sulfur. Correct me if i am wrong and sorry for my noob questions sir.

Just do 70 perc, 30 aluminum and an additional 10 sulfur. Works great, and is easy to remember.
  • Like 1

Just do 70 perc, 30 aluminum and an additional 10 sulfur. Works great, and is easy to remember.

That is exactly what I do as well.

• Like 1

If it adds power to a report is mostly depending on the who is the spectator. I find that it does so at least in small reports up to <2g but its more or less marginally. On everything bigger you allready got enough power.

But sulfur or antimony trisulphide give a deeper boom compared to straight 7/3.

If you just start out making flash go with the 7/3 powder untill you've gained some experience on flash handling.

• Like 1

If it adds power to a report is mostly depending on the who isthe spectator. I find that it does so at least in small reports up to <2g but its more or less marginally. On everything bigger you allready got enough power.

But sulfur or antimony trisulphide give a deeper boom compared to straight 7/3.

If you just start out making flash go with the 7/3 powder untill you've gained some experience on flash handling.

Ok thank you for the advise schroedinger. I have started making flash using the diaper method since february until last week and i'm only mixing 10 grams of 7/3 per batch. But now im planning to add sulfur to it so in 10 grams batch of 7/3 for how much grams of sulfur do you think should i add?

Here is some information copied from a lab test on flash powders:

Here is the link to the PDF :
http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=663

A variety of flash powders were tested under weak confinement to determine the sound pressure levels and tonal characteristics produced. In these tests it was found that: the sound output from mix- tures prepared with potassium perchlorate from four manufacturers are essentially equivalent; there are significant differences in the level of sound output as a result of using six different common aluminum powders; the addition of either of two common flow or bulking agents have essen- tially no effect on the sound produced; the substi- tution of potassium chlorate for potassium per- chlorate in a common flash powder has essential- ly no effect on the sound produced; and the addi- tion of antimony sulfide or sulfur reduces the du- ration of positive phase without increasing the level of the sound produced. In short, it was found that nothing surpassed the level of sound pro- duced by a 70:30 mixture of reasonably high- quality potassium perchlorate and a high quality flake aluminum powder. This is significant be- cause the use of potassium chlorate, antimony sulfide, and sulfur, can seriously increase the sen- sitiveness of flash powders to accidental ignition

That the addition of antimony sulfide produced a more brisant explosion was expected, based on common knowledge in the fireworks trade. How- ever, it was not expected that the addition of sul- fur would have the same effect. Common experi- ence is that sulfur produces a more mellow sound. At the present, the authors have no satisfactory explanation for this. However, work is continuing to study this. Use of antimony sulfide or sulfur decreased the duration of the positive phase with- out increasing peak overpressure. This combina- tion of effects means that the pressure impulse produced is less for these flash powders. In turn, that may mean that the blast effect perceived by the audience, the so-called chest thump, will be less for salutes using these flash powders.

In short, nothing surpassed the level of sound produced by a 70:30 mixture of reasonably high- quality potassium perchlorate and a high quality flake aluminum powder. This is significant be- cause the use of potassium chlorate, antimony sulfide, and sulfur can seriously increase the sen- sitiveness of flash powders to accidental ignition.

If you are making flash in commercial quantities and want to save a few bucks then add sulfur, I would prefer to spend a few bucks and add safety. Who doesn't like a good chest thump with your salutes anyway!

Edited by Exo
  • Like 1

Keep in mind, that video only tested one formula with the Sb2S3 and one with the sulfur. Change the ratios, and the result changes drastically.

Keep in mind, that video only tested one formula with the Sb2S3 and one with the sulfur. Change the ratios, and the result changes drastically.

Hello LiamPyro,

Are you replying to my post? Or do you have the wrong thread as there is no video, I attached a link to PDF on lab tests for flash and they tested 3 differant comps with sulfur and Sb2S3. The results speak for themselves if you have any evidence to support you claims please link it.

Edited by Exo

Oh sorry! I thought your post was about a different test, which is nearly identical, and I thought your link was to a video of it. What I was talking about is a video of lecture I have seen. It is almost exactly the same as the one you describe. However, in the test I am talking about they used only one formula with Sb2S3, one with sulfur, and one with both. Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/3988737

After looking through the PDF, I started to think these two tests might be the same! Then I realized they used different ratios with the sulfur and Sb2S3 and the PDF tested a total of three mixes containing sulfur, not two as shown in the video.

Edited by LiamPyro
  • Like 2

Thanks for the video, very interesting.

Cheers

Glad you got something out of it!

So by adding sulfur and antimony sulfide have the same effect?

I don't know firsthand, but I've heard they can be swapped for one another in flash compositions with very little change in report sound.

That doesn't mean they have the same effect though, the flash brightness/smoke density/blast force are different to some degree I'm sure.

• Like 1

Glad you got something out of it!

I don't know firsthand, but I've heard they can be swapped for one another in flash compositions with very little change in report sound.

That doesn't mean they have the same effect though, the flash brightness/smoke density/blast force are different to some degree I'm sure.

Ok i guess flash with sulfur has denser smoke than 7/3 mix and the 7/3 mix has brighter flash but that doesn't matter anyway.

One of the classic firework compounders of the 60's and 70's in England used to add 5 - 20% of wood meal to most of his designs. It wasn't for pyro effect but it made them cheaper, so the fireworks could be a little cheaper so they were more popular.

permanagrate perchlorate its dangerous for add sulfur to thats? yes i know its dangerous just on own but i try litel 50/50 kmo4 mg . maybe add s but i hear its big danger its true?
not sensitive or stabiliter?

thanks for ur responser in advanced

this its my without sulfer
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFApTMn-vOQ

edit:

yes its not realy confined on thats video i made it from bandaid and little ductape on bottum. but it is open on top.

Edited by 3p1cb00m3r
  • Like 1

Looking at your videos I’m reluctant to describe it in any detail.

I'll just warn you that with sulphur it will ignite just by mixing it in.

Why do you waste shells during daytime and on ground? A decent mortar costs much less than any of those big shells..

I'll just warn you that with sulphur it will ignite just by mixing it in.

just wanna drop in and say that KMnO4 fuel and sulfur doesnt ignite on contact

KMnO4 and sulfur are solids that does not without provocation react