APC Forum

Modifying Monocapa Prime for Parlon Bound Stars

GreginCA

I was thinking that since dextrin has about twice the fuel as red gum weight for weight, perhaps eliminating the dextrin and increasing the red gum to 12.3 parts?. That way one could utilize it as a prime for parlon/chlorinated rubber bound stars. Input appreciated... Jopetes???

Edited by GreginCA

I was thinking that since dextrin has about twice the fuel as red gum weight for weight, perhaps eliminating the dextrin and increasing the red gum to 12.3 parts?. That way one could utilize it as a prime for parlon/chlorinated rubber bound stars. Input appreciated... Jopetes???

I think I understood your question.

If you intend to use alcohol, acetone or MEK is not necessary to use dextrin, nor is it necessary to increase the amount of red gum or acroide gum network but you want to increase just a little more red gum eg 5 grams to 7 grams (see formulated in pdf manual) does not matter but should not add more, the formula does not need more fuel. The mission of the dextrin is one in the case of using water-alcohol. Dextrin just acts as fuel.

• 1 month later...

Does the Monocapa Prime also work as well if I leave out or substitute the sulfur? Because I want to use it for Ba(ClO3)2 green ;)

The idea of the Monocapa prime is that it will work as single layer prime (though I think the inventor recommends an outer layer of BP somewhere).

Sulphur makes the prime much more sensitive to ignition, without sulphur you'll need a layer of H3 or BP, (depending on your shell design) on top.

You can even use BP for priming or H3.

As outer layer, but not alone!

Ba Chlorate is a bitch. In my (limited) experience typical organic stars based on that stuff need some serious heat to get going. Just because they are sensitive to friction and shock unfortunately does not mean the ignite easily from fire...

When using H3 as a prime, your break and anything else in the shell should be sulphur free as well (imho).

Ok thank you, Yes in the Spanish PDF both is described Monocapa as singlelayer Prime and together with other primes.

And Yes, Barium chlorate really is a bitch, the achieved green is really impressive in the dark, in the groundtest they burned pretty good, but the unprimed star was blown off just by throwing it in the sky.

With a bit of H3 Prime it burned good, also when throwed in the sky, but I want to be on the safe side, because in a shell the Star is much faster.

Yes I know, even if I would use a chlorate and sulfurless Prime I would use nothing sulfur containing in this shell, because I want to be on the safe side, for example if during putting the hemis together one of the Stars would shatter.

I will make a 4" shell but maybe also 2" or 2,5" shells, this Year I start early preparing myself for NYE :D

Simply removing the Sulphur from the Single Layer Prime ("Monocapa" simply means "Single Layer" in Spanish) will alter its burning characteristics and although it might still work, it won't do what you want it to do I expect.

You could probably create a suitable prime using Potassium Perchlorate, Red Gum and Charcoal (I can't remember exactly, I think this was a Peregrin formula?). Never liked the idea of Barium Chlorate so I wouldn't know what's best for priming stars made with it though, so it's just an educated guess!

Primes

Perigrin

Perigrin

Perigrin

Perigrin

Veline

Best AFN 3

Shimizu

name

BP outer prime

Magnalium inner prime

Flitter prime

Perchlorate prime

Veline star prime

Microstar prime

Multi-use prime

Potassium perchlorate

Potassium nitrate

Red gum

Charcoal, air float

Sulfur

Wood meal, -70 mesh

Magnalium, -200 mesh

Black copper oxide

Red iron oxide

Black iron oxide

Aluminum, dark

Black powder, fine

Barium nitrate

Antimony trisulfide

Silicon

Boric acid

Potassium dichromate

Dextrin

solvent

50% alcohol

50% alcohol

33% alcohol

33% alcohol

33% alcohol

50% alcohol

50% alcohol

Try again.

Primes Perigrin Perigrin Perigrin Perigrin Veline Best AFN 3 Shimizu name BP outer prime Magnalium inner prime Flitter prime Perchlorate prime Veline star prime Microstar prime Multi-use prime Potassium perchlorate 73 33 73 55 74 Potassium nitrate 57.2 Red gum 12 8 11 12 Charcoal, air float 5 5 7 20 11.4 6 Sulfur 11.4 Wood meal, -70 mesh 6 Magnalium, -200 mesh 5 Black copper oxide 1 Red iron oxide 5 Black iron oxide 1 Aluminum, dark 4 10 5.7 3 Black powder, fine 93 Barium nitrate 34 Antimony trisulfide 9 Silicon 11.4 Boric acid 1 Potassium dichromate 5 5 5 Dextrin 2 4 5 5 4 2.9 solvent 50% alcohol 50% alcohol 33% alcohol 33% alcohol 33% alcohol 50% alcohol 50% alcohol

I had to play around with this before I got it to work. After you paste, there is a tab on the far right in the full editor that says "enable HTML". Clicking that before I mess with the nicely formatted table, will allow it to convert to something that works.

Primes

Perigrin  Perigrin  Perigrin  Perigrin  Veline  Best AFN 3 Shimizu
name  BP outer prime  Magnalium inner prime  Flitter prime  Perchlorate prime  Veline star prime  Microstar prime  Multi-use prime
Potassium perchlorate    73 33 73 55   74
Potassium nitrate            57.2  
Red gum   12 8 11     12
Charcoal, air float  5 5   7 20 11.4 6
Sulfur           11.4  
Wood meal, -70 mesh          6    
Magnalium, -200 mesh          5    
Black copper oxide   1          
Red iron oxide         5    
Black iron oxide   1          
Aluminum, dark   4 10     5.7 3
Black powder, fine  93            
Barium nitrate      34        
Antimony trisulfide     9        
Silicon           11.4  
Boric acid     1        
Potassium dichromate        5 5   5
Dextrin 2 4 5 5 4 2.9  
solvent 50% alcohol 50% alcohol 33% alcohol 33% alcohol 33% alcohol 50% alcohol 50% alcohol 

• Like 1

I think you mean that dextrin is half the fuel of red gum. Maybe that's what you mean because since it isn't as good of a fuel, you will need twice as much of it as the red gum to burn with the same amount of oxygen. Or you will need to add 50% of the dextrin in red gum. But what is wrong with using the formula as is? Just roll the prime on to dry stars with water? Or are you wanting to use alcohol to activate the red gum so the prime dries faster? Just don't understand the reasoning that it needs to be modified for use with Parlon bound rubber stars?

@Mumbles:

But the end result cant be quoted, or copied. Perhaps you knew, and left the link to the source for that reason alone. Anyways, thanks. Link stuck in my collection, and i'll be grabbing it for off-line storage later this week.

B!

@ FlaMtnBkr:

To facilitate tenacious adhesion of the priming to a strontium nitrate/magnesium star composition that utilizes chlorinated rubber as the binder and acetone/alcohol as the solvents, while still maintaining comparable fuel to oxygen ratio's, in a very hard broken shell.... (Whoaa... I'm winded now)... Hence: Water is not my friend, although once the stars are cured it is a mute point but..... would also require this lazy old pyro dude to have patience and initiate a second operation rather than being done with it on the spot :)

Interestingly enough, Jopetes covers this in his online documents for the most part..... It ends up the dextrin is just glue and can be eliminated without much effect. It has enough red gum to adequately bind to such stars using 100% Alcohol and through a bit of experimentation I find that one can impart a bit of control on the burn rate by adjusting the red gum up a little bit as per his recommendation above.

@ Jopetes: Thank you, and your prime is very effective for those hard to light metal fueled perchlorate stars..... :P

@ Mumbles: Yea, that's what I was trying to post..... Thanks for correcting the format and feel free to delete the gibberish you translated it from... LOL

Greg