APC Forum

Z bomb/stinger rocket?

odan56

A few years back I concentrated a lot of time on 6# z bombs, and stingers.

I used 4 vents to help stabilize. (it helped a lot with the stingers when lifting ball shells)

Put z bomb vents in a stinger.

Vents would not only spool up, but lift the stinger before the burn through, which would light the core then kick it in the backside.

I think it would have a nice effect.

I would shoot z's out of festival ball tubes, didn't care too much for their erratic flight paths.

I've since sold all my chems, and equipment because of some crazy work hours.

I'm just wondering.

Dan

I'm sorry but I don't know what your question is. Maybe you can elaborate a bit.

Yeah there isn't really a question in there. But I think he is asking if anyone has put a vent hole on a stinger that is not only tangential to the tube but also angled down to give spin and lift before it burns through to the core.

A good hot stinger only spins up for a second or so before the core lights and the lift kicks in. I would wonder, if it's rising as it's spinning up, if there will be enough spin to stabilize the rocket that's now moving forward, and like your z bomb, the flight will be erratic. And then that kick in the pants will surely put it at mach 1.3 straight towards the only thing in a half mile radius that can be damaged.

But that's just a guess at what he is trying to ask.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear with this post, it was an idea in my head and I wrote while thinking.

Trying to explain digitally from an analog mind.

Since then I saw 2 ways of making them.

1 is making them as an end burn coreless, then it would take a bit more time to spool up before it burned through to the nozzle.

2 almost like 1 except it has the core coming down from the top then pressing around 1-1/2" of BP over the top of the core.

#2 would have to be built upside down without clay, when finished and ready to press the bulkhead use a ram that'll add a passfire to the bulkhead. (may have to enlarge the passfire hole some)

Remove the motor from the spindle flip over and press a closed bulkhead over the core. (may have to use a piece of chip disk over the core first before pressing the bulkhead)

Drill Z vents into the solid grain of motor.

I used that grey 3 strand perc. quick match to fuse.

Shot from a mortar.

It looks like #2 would get kicked twice in the butt.

Once when the vents burned into the passfire hole, and the other would be the burn into the core

FlaMtnBkr,

Your statment; And then that kick in the pants will surely put it at mach 1.3 straight towards the only thing in a half mile radius that can be damaged. Pretty accurate description.

In the past I've had to deal with motors going "AT" instead of "AWAY"!

Dan