APC Forum

Golden Crossette Rocket

VikingPyrotechnics

Hi guys,

lately i was working out a "new" kind of motor ( new to me so far ). And now im thinking i get to were i want to with this motor. It can lift a 3" Cylinder or ballshell to a good height and got a nice way of flight :)

On this motor i glued a 3" cylinder shell with 7 gold glitter crossettes. Weight about 180 gramms .

Didn´t expect such a big break, so i didn´t get everything on cam :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-f91WHi4-E

Greets from Germany

VP

Motor specs ?

It looks very short, with a big diameter for a BP motor...

But he goes well, and nice timing on the crossettes man !

Beautiful as always Viking! Nice break on that shell, great breaks on the crossettes, just beautiful!

Thank you guys :)

Motor specs ?

It looks very short, with a big diameter for a BP motor...

But he goes well, and nice timing on the crossettes man !

Can´t tell you much about the specs from this tool ( because these motors gonna be produced by a new firework company here in Germany, and they wanna keep the specs from the spindle etc :-/ ) All i can say is, that the tube is 10cm long and the ID is 22mm.

Beautiful as always Viking! Nice break on that shell, great breaks on the crossettes, just beautiful!

Thanks Dag ! :D

The Timing of the crossettes should be a bit tighter ......

Greets

VP

Mysterious... Looking forward to see more of them.

Again, i think the crossette timing is awesome, i can't do better.

1 in endburner I would suspect.. :) maybe a little core to it..

Of course that was very nice Vike.

• Like 1

Viking, beautiful rocket and wonderful shell. You constantly amaze me with your craftsmanship. :)

I am guessing that the rocket might be the same one in your other video with the purple tube. :ph34r: ;)

1 in endburner I would suspect.. :) maybe a little core to it..

Of course that was very nice Vike.

Thanks Caleb :)

You are right, it´s a little core in these motors for better take off .....

Viking, beautiful rocket and wonderful shell. You constantly amaze me with your craftsmanship. :)

I am guessing that the rocket might be the same one in your other video with the purple tube. :ph34r: ;)

Thank you Eric :)

It´s the same tube and almost the same tool :D

What kind of a break-charge did you use for the crossettes? I loved them!

What kind of a break-charge did you use for the crossettes? I loved them!

Thanks for the kind words ! :)

I use normal flash powder to break them. But to make the flashpowder i use dark 000 aluminium. It is not as dense as for example German Dark or other sorts. As a result, the Flash Powder has more volume and it does not fit so much into the crossette cavity, as with other aluminum varieties. Thus, the possibility is not so high that it breaks the crossettes too hard.

Greets

VP

Edited by VikingPyrotechnics

These are nice little workhorses.

If i may ask, what calibre are these crossettes, 3/4 inch? What kind of tool did you use, Wolter's?

And do you put something like thermalite or blackmatch into the cavity to prevent jetting, like it is proposed often?

These are nice little workhorses.

If i may ask, what calibre are these crossettes, 3/4 inch? What kind of tool did you use, Wolter's?

And do you put something like thermalite or blackmatch into the cavity to prevent jetting, like it is proposed often?

Thank you :)

Crossettes are 3/4" made with Wolters tool. I´m pretty happy with it. And yes, i insert a small piece of homemade Blackmatch into the cavity :)

Greets

• Like 1

I like the timing a lot, it gives the impression of a rondelle.

Maybe i´m gonna try a " rondell timing " on my crossettes, like TR ?! But, for this i have to make me some spacers for my crossette pump :)

Nice vid, good work. I've had people telling me that a 100mm is too short for a 19mm tube but your motor and other commercial unit's I've seen have short wide tubes.

Does anyone know why commercial makers use short wide tubes but home builders tend to use long tubes?

Nice vid, good work. I've had people telling me that a 100mm is too short for a 19mm tube but your motor and other commercial unit's I've seen have short wide tubes.

Does anyone know why commercial makers use short wide tubes but home builders tend to use long tubes?

I think it have to do with the material you need for a long tube. i have to press about 70g of fuel in my TR Motor ( 20mm and about 20cm long ). And in these smaller motors i only have to press 25g of fuel. =)

Maybe i´m gonna try a " rondell timing " on my crossettes, like TR ?! But, for this i have to make me some spacers for my crossette pump :)

Make them all identical, and then "hand drill" a starter in the exposed end. the deeper the hole, the shorter the burn until it reaches the insides. Exactly how deep depends on the burn rate of the composition. I've never done crossettes on my own, and none like this, but i have made salutes & cake shells this way. Same difference, should work.

B!