APC Forum

What is the dark blue star formula

benrenyi4

It's really hard to guess. Most companies keep their exact formula a secret. However, this thread would be a great place to start reading about some of the more popular blues:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/4931-lactose-blue-or-conkling-blue/

My guess and I'm no chemistry or master in pyro but maybe there adding more blue coloring agent then most formulas. Or more oxidizer. I dunno your going to have to experiment

• 4 months later...

copper benzoate is what's used for this blue.

...well copper benzoate will give you this kind of blue. I read an article in one of the AFN's about it.... and a year or two ago had a discussion about how to make copper benzoate from the article. Mumbles explained it pretty well.... its on here somewhere. I'm sure you can find that and the AFN article.

Interesting video. Unbelievable fireworks. I find the blues at 1:11 far more appealing.

You assume that the camera records colours perfectly?

Most likely the camera.

Edit: maybe the stars are really that blue, canada fireworks shows are terrible compared to this.

Edited by OblivionFall

Unfortunately we may never know the exact formula as the bruscella factory exploded last month and most of the builders were killed,

I think the blue at 1:11 and 5:10 are the same blue there are just way more stars in the shells at 1:11.

Dean

And they are far more likely a chlorate blue than an AP blue, chlorate is far less expensive in Italy.

as it was explained to me when i started out, pick a nice blue and run with it. if you get hung up over blue firework stars, you will be stuck there forever. it is stupid easy to get lost in the plethora of blue comps out there without ever finding one that meets your needs. i have also found (as well as having been told) if you're lighting them on the ground, you haven't seen the star. they need to be in the air.

there is a multi tube fountain out there called purple passion that has those intense deep blue microstars. i liked it enough that i bought 20 of them. after taking one apart to test the blue stars, i found that on the ground, they were washed out and whitish but in their intended usage they gave that intense, incredible, cool burning blue.

but that was my mistake too. i got into the hobby looking for a better "blue fix". i soon found that it is a descent into madness trying to find that ultimate blue.

• Like 1

Pihko KP #2 is the absolute best blue. Substitute Parlon for saran. Parlon leaves a little tail and doesn't burn as clean

Bcorsco :

I too have found copper oxide to be a very nice blue colorant . I recently tried the copper(lll) red oxide , and to my surprise it seemed to have a bit deeper blue than that of the black oxide. The comp was similar to the one described above , but I think I bound with dex.

Its funny but I too can relate to the quest for the perfect blue. I found that shifting the spectrum to the purple side helped get the vibrant blue I was after , and not the washed out blues I was getting .

Pyrojig, you're not the first person I've heard mention the purple thing. I wonder if including a little bit of strontium might help with some formulas. This is a strange thought since a red halo around a blue star (too much oxygen) has usually been considered to be a bad thing.

Blue is a funny color. Its believe there is know perfect blue, just what is perfect for you. For me, it's about pairing blue with something. A silver or a gold.

I love cop light blues against a gold star, but a deep blue agains a bright silver.

I am alittle partial to cop light blue, using copper benzoate.

The "dark blue" from above could be anything from organic to metallic.

it could be the smoke reflecting the deep blue and hiding the white spot

distance plays a role too, I have seen metalized blue in mines being too bright to capture on camera but appearing relatively deep when light up from a big shell.

A tip: don't look directly into the burning star, the beauty is outside of it

I always try to look at reflected light. Tacking a piece of paper up on something gives a fairly accurate representation of what you observe from the air in my experience. It doesn't show halos, ash or tails, but it's not bad for a quick color test.