APC Forum

Blue star question..

braddsn

• 3 months later...

Friends:

General rule for blue perchlorate-magnalium stars: about 3 to 5 % magnalium, not more and you still can achieve (by some testing) an excellent blue.

Yours truly: Toivo

Not a whole lot of them. Something can probably be arranged with guanidine nitrate or nitrocellulose. I've seen a couple based on potassium nitrate, but have never heard many good things. If you do any experimenting, I'm sure a lot of us would be interesting in following along or chiming in.

• Like 1

Although I wouldn't call it a "stellar" blue, we formulated an acceptable nitrate-only blue for a certain 'Entertainment Company' whose name would be familiar to most.

When they saw it, they were quite happy, saying that IF they used ONLY that blue in certain shows (so it couldn't be visually compared to others) that it would be perfectly suitable and unnoticeable to 99% of viewers. And they subsequently went on to buy a lot of it, so they must've continued to be pleased by it.

This, in order to push their on-going, ever-widening "zero perchlorates" program.

Lloyd

• Like 2

Looking for a (relatively) non-toxic green star formula, I found this on Skylighter:

Potassium nitrate 15

Sulfur 2

Airfloat charcoal 1

Copper powder 4

Red gum 1

Dextrin 1

Doesn't look like it would be green to me. Maybe, slightly blue from copper. Has anyone actually tried it?? Lloyd has indicated he did not think it would be very green.

Hardt Green #5

Barium nitrate 56

Red gum 7

MgAl -200 mesh 17

PVC 15

The only one I use since the first time using it. Awesome deep green. You can sub the pvc with parlon, and sub the red gum with sulfur. Added 4% dextrin to bind. Primed with 50/50 blend potassium perchlorate flash (70/30/5-sulfur) and standard 75/15/10 BP mill dust. Final layer add very fine bp granules for texture. Or first 1mm layer perc flash then 1mm layer fence post prime. Fence post can usually do it by itself, however though sometimes it doesn't, this is where the flash fixes that. That is of course if anyone cares about what I have to say.