APC Forum

stannous oxalate

THEONE

I was looking to find some informations about stannous oxalate. I found that it can me made by reacting SnCl2 with oxalic acid. Can someone write for me the reaction that take place ?

Also i found that it is not soluble in water, or slightly. I was trying to found if it is soluble in organic solvents like alcohol but i could not find anything.

Edited by THEONE

Isnt hydrochloric acid stronger than oxalic acid?

I dont see how oxalic acid could drive out the hydrochloric.

What do you need that compound for?

You theoretically need 1 mole of oxalic acid per mole of SnCl2, but you never get 100% yield for a reaction. You'll have to go to the periodic table and add up the atomic weights.

Actually looking at that reaction i would just work with oxalic acid in excess.

The reaction is:

Sn 2+ + C2O4 2- --> SnC2O4

2 Cl- + 2 H+ --> 2 HCl

SnCl2 + C2O4H2 --> 2 HCl + SnC2O4

You need 186 g of SnCl2 (anhydrous) or 225 g of dihydrate and 126 g of Oxalic acid (dihydrate). For the reaction itself i would use 140 - 150 g of oxalic acid. Dissolve both in Water and combine using a dripping funnel.

Thanks a lot!!

Now were can i disolve it, so i can then apply it to the etched titanium surface ?.

Also i hase seen that decomposition of SnC2O4 will end up Sno2 correct? and not Sno. Sno is something that i dont want.

It looks for me than the oxalate is the easiest salt of tin to produce some Sno2 anodes.

Edited by THEONE