APC Forum

really stupid firework video

taiwanluthiers

Holy shit people are stupid. A crotch rocket? Seriously?

The sad part is most of these kids have no sense of long time reality.

You have two eyes, ears, hands, arms, legs etc. and once you loose them you don't get them back.

Most males have to hit their 30's before common sense over-rides testosterone.

• Like 1

I'd like to nominate that crotch rocket guy for Darwin Award, if he actually lost his balls in this...

My first post here, would like to first thank all the others that contributed about safety concerns. I have learned a lot about the dangers of our hobby from reading this forum, and been very fortunate to not be hurt over the years of discharging consumer pyrotechnics in such a reckless manner as in the OP's video. I would like to think I could be a mentor for others in my local community especially on the safety issues of pyrotechnics. Thanks again for all the safety posts.

You have two eyes, ears, hands, arms, legs etc. and once you loose them you don't get them back.

Tell me about it.

I'd like to nominate that crotch rocket guy for Darwin Award, if he actually lost his balls in this...

You have to actually die in the act of doing something stupid to get the Darwin award.

No you don't. All you have to do is lose the ability to pass on your genes. So you can still win/be nominated for Darwin awards and still live. Say if the guy loses his manhood and becomes sterile...

• Like 1

Excellent rebuttal. Touché.

In this day and age of DNA and cloning techniques, only instant and complete incineration should be the basis for awarding the Darwins.

Alright!!! Backup has arrived. TaiwanLuthiers? ;P

Well.... In case cloning counts... At birth kids over here have a DNA sample taken, and it's then stored,,, well, for ever really. (PKU-registret <translation... as if needed.> PKU-register)

Anyway, point being, if cloning counts, then only after you've made sure every DNA-sample available from the source, is no longer viable, can the award be given.

Guess it's time to quit giving out them awards...

B!

I'm sure they could clone a human. We've successfully cloned other mammals.
  • Like 1

Well, the cloning it self is good enough to make copies. But there is a number of things that are only "partly" genetics, and the rest is random. So it might "look" a lot like the same thing, it will test as identical on a DNA test, but, for example, if you run the finger print, it's a dead giveaway that it's not the same person. This "random" parts of the process is why identical twins have at best similar fingerprints, but never identical ones.

B!

But the clone will never be as good as the original. There will always be something off, like genetic diseases, shorter lifespan, etc. so even if the idiot can be cloned, it probably won't live long.

Looking at videos like this all I can see is the very reason for which fireworks restrictions are getting tighter and tighter.

All it takes are a few cases of retards with missing eyes and such, sometimes a single one being enough to totally ban an item.

But the clone will never be as good as the original. There will always be something off, like genetic diseases, shorter lifespan, etc. so even if the idiot can be cloned, it probably won't live long.

Since Dolly, thats no longer true. "Modern" clones have the same life expectancy as the DNA donor, and reproductive capabilities. Dolly however caught from a disease that kills cloned, or not cloned sheep alike, and got put down.

Anyway, more on "current" cloning. I say "current" since it's 2 years old.

For what ever reason, cloning has a bad reputation. It's much like GMO, and i don't quite get why. I'm not sure cloning is ever a good idea to implement on a "wide" scale. Say every cow in the country is cloned from "A". What do you do when "A" turns out to have a weakness that makes it unable to adapt to the changing environment? "A" might produce more milk then the alternatives, or tastier / more meat, but if that new weed that blew in kills her, your shit out of luck. Adaptability, to some extent, comes from diversity.

Anyway, guess were going way of topic. Sorry.

B!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

What I'd like to see with such videos is an aftermath compilation right next to them, or at the end of the same video.

I've seen such thing with skating / extreme sports videos and watching them makes you reconsider a lot of things. Even the simplest mishaps that seem funny and naive at the moment almost always turn quite unpleasant as soon as you start actually grasp the situation. And many times the outcome is quite permanent.

E.g. if that first sparkler dude got hit with jet in hand, the summer is probably over for him and he'll have to wear bandages and wont swim for a few weeks. Roman candle gamer will probably have a very visible scar if he's lucky and eyes were not touched etc.

• Like 1

Jesus that kid, does he have a hand left? That was/is disturbing.

Yesterday IMGUR / Reddit had a bunch of "success" stories, I’ll see what I can dig up.. some of them:

Very graphic: http://imgur.com/gallery/fGMjkI wonder what's the story in there.

This one got lucky: http://imgur.com/gallery/1XUnostill huge potential for failure, especially the "catching rockets" and "involving audience" parts.

Place on ground, light fuze, get away. Some can't follow simple instructions. Edited by Shunt
  • Like 1