APC Forum

KLO4 from matches ?

insutama

Can you actually make Potassium perchlorate from matches ? dont worry i dont plan on making any as i would have no use for it till i learn how to make starts with it but i just saw a vid on youtube were someone clames to have extracted KNO4 from matches wondering if this actually would work and if anyone has ever tried this

• Like 1

I guess if you where in the jungle or desert and had to pull a "Macgyver" to save their ass, then maybe . It would be a task to get a pure product out of the bound comp. Why bother IMO. You could spend a 100h getting a minimal amount or spend $5-6 to get a "pure " product. I guess to answer your Q. yes, but not advisable.

Can you actually make Potassium perchlorate from matches ? dont worry i dont plan on making any as i would have no use for it till i learn how to make starts with it but i just saw a vid on youtube were someone clames to have extracted KNO4 from matches wondering if this actually would work and if anyone has ever tried this

When I was a kid I did that and my buddy got a good blister from cutting it off the match sticks. It would be much cheaper to just buy it.

you cant buy Klo04 in canada or at least not that i have found yet not that im in a huge rush to get it but one day i would love to get some maybe ill have to make it from potassium chloride and sodium chlorate.

Matches contain potassium chlorate, not perchlorate. It is rubbed against a striker containing red P to ignite it.

All of the terrible chemical formulas in this thread make me want to punch a kitten. Potassium perchlorate is KClO4. There are no zeros, N's, or capitals L's.

Anyway, yes Taiwanluthiers is correct. They contain potassium chlorate (KClO3), not perchlorate. In a very round about way it is technically possible to collect the chlorate and turn it into perchlorate, but it's not possible directly.

• Like 1

Sorry this off topic Email Tim at pyrochemsource to see if he could ship you perch I don't see why not.

It's probably easier to make (per)chlorate from bleach, or calcium hypochlorite (some types of pool chlorine additive). It's a wasteful process, but at least it has clean and nonflammable starting materials. It was used industrially before electrolysis became practical.

Insutama, I really think you shouldn't be worrying about KClO4 or magnesium until you can make good consistent BP.
  • Like 3

Insutama, I really think you shouldn't be worrying about KClO4 or magnesium until you can make good consistent BP.

+1

Hmmm, what can you make with finely divided Mg and KClO4?

• Like 1

like i said on my other posts ill stop asking questions that pop up on my mind as im doing my research. but just so you all know these questions as just ones i get while watching vids. you know youtube you start watching one thing then by the end ur watching somthing else and you have a million more questions. Sorry if i have offended anyone i hope you understand but ill will make sure i just ask the questions i cant find from research and also only one topic at a time thanks again

Youtube is not a good source of information. People have been known to provide wrong or dangerous information on youtube. Ask someone who knows what they are doing (professional pyros), and read real literature (Shimzhu, Lancasters, etc.) for good information.

like i said on my other posts ill stop asking questions that pop up on my mind as im doing my research. but just so you all know these questions as just ones i get while watching vids. you know youtube you start watching one thing then by the end ur watching somthing else and you have a million more questions. Sorry if i have offended anyone i hope you understand but ill will make sure i just ask the questions i cant find from research and also only one topic at a time thanks again

It's like the pictures I sent you, this stuff can turn ugly very fast. We are not giving you a hard time because we are all asses, it's because we do care.

Youtube is not a good source of information. People have been known to provide wrong or dangerous information on youtube. Ask someone who knows what they are doing (professional pyros), and read real literature (Shimzhu, Lancasters, etc.) for good information.

I think that is actually what he just did.

That's why I asked on these forums before I attempt anything because I want professional pyros opinions and to learn what's safe and what's not I would hate to get burned or loose fingers because I tried somthing that wasn't safe and didn't ask before I went ahead and tryed it

Shroedinger, I think it's fair to say that most of us here are not professionals. The site is called Amateurpyro for a reason. While there are certainly members here who are quite knowledgable and experienced, there are also plenty who are not (myself included). APC is a great resource, but I've read several posts where people are just talking out of their asses in a very "matter of fact" way. I think what TaiwanLuthiers was suggesting though, if I'm understanding him correctly, was to quit using YouTube as a resource for learning pyro altogether, and come to a place like here first, or preferably read literature written by a professional.

By the way, I like your name!

Edited by BurritoBandito

FWIW, there are perchlorate based matches. Green in color, crappy performance.

There are some outstanding YouTube pyro videos out there. Posters like Ned Gorski, Paul Moulder, and Vike are examples.

There is also a lot of very dangerous crap.

Kevin

Let's just say that a match head weighs much less than a tenth of a gram and the oxidiser will be about 50% maximum of that, so for each match head you should yield less than 50mg of oxidiser. That sort of amount is useless and you'd have to be a good chemist to do that extraction with any hope of purity.

Sorry but you have an essential need to buy supplies. Pyro is too risky with unknown ingredients. First you must sort out a couple of projects and then buy the materials needed, yes as you say ingredients are hard to find in Canada.

You are probably better off getting perchlorate out of Pyrodex than match heads (which more often than not is chlorate, for the simple reason that they are sensitive enough that it will light, insensitive enough that it won't self light). Wikipedia says Pyrodex contains perchlorate, but I can't be sure. Problem is (assuming that Pyrodex does in fact use perchlorate based oxidizer) potassium perchlorate is not very soluble in water at all, about 20g/L at room temperature, so extracting it along with other insoluble fuels and additives will not be easy.

Best you can do is come over the border and get some...