APC Forum

Which - if any - metals would you ram with BP?

Ubehage

My question might seem foolish, or even downright stupid.

The reason I ask, is because I have seen Ned Gorski ram BP and Titanium. While everywhere else, people say not to ram any metals.

So now, I am asking broadly in here.. Which metals do you, or would you, ram with BP?

And is there any metals that you won't even press?

I will not press Ti grape nuts but will press any other metal. I will not ram any metal except for big Al flakes but in my experience, the comp falls apart when ramming them any way.

• Like 1

Is titanium sparking like steel? I don't think so but hopefully someone knows for sure.

I've rammed stuff with spherical Ti before but only above the spindle if a rocket. But I also took lots of precautions and wore PPE.

• Like 1

No, not like steel but yes, it does spark however, a solid chunk of Ti is much more difficult to create a spark from and the right alloy can be labeled as "spark resistant" but never "spark proof". The issue with ramming Ti in a comp is really about raw friction against tooling and particles of Ti and motor removal from a spindle.

Tooling wear is a much larger issue than sparking at the velocities we can create with a plastic hammer.

No, not like steel but yes, it does spark however, a solid chunk of Ti is much more difficult to create a spark from and the right alloy can be labeled as "spark resistant" but never "spark proof". The issue with ramming Ti in a comp is really about raw friction against tooling and particles of Ti and motor removal from a spindle.

Tooling wear is a much larger issue than sparking at the velocities we can create with a plastic hammer.

So - friction with Ti is "not really" an issue, but I should be prepared to replace my toolings often? :)

By the way, I referred to having watched Ned Gorski hand-ramming Titanium. I just re-found the video, in case anyone was wondering.

It is the Fairy Fountain-composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtckrUTXHGY

So - friction with Ti is "not really" an issue, but I should be prepared to replace my toolings often? :)

By the way, I referred to having watched Ned Gorski hand-ramming Titanium. I just re-found the video, in case anyone was wondering.

It is the Fairy Fountain-composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtckrUTXHGY

Noooo, not really, just don't use Ti on spindles and such, push the rammer down by hand on comets and add a pinch of comp without Ti in it before pounding and the tooling will last a long. time.

• Like 1