APC Forum

conductive igniter/pyrogen comp?

taiwanluthiers

Where can I find some information on making conductive primers for igniters as well as the pyrogen to ignite composite motors? I have potassium perchlorate, some parlon, and barium nitrate...

The internet? You really need conductive lampblack for it to work well. Supposedly graphite can work but I couldn't get them to work well. A capacitive discharge type box might get them to fire more reliably or maybe I never got the right amount of graphite needed. Flakes probably work better than a powder.

I have googled, but I haven't really found anything good. I'm just thinking of soldering up bridge wires and then dipping it in a MgAl based star comp (bound with Parlon) such as Emerald green or Buell red. Hopefully they burn hot enough to ignite APCP motors.

DIY igniters are usually rather insensitive to ignition and unreliable. If you have any possibility of getting the commercial part then please do.

Actually most composite motor igniters are rather insensitive, they require at least 1 amp to fire reliably. The requirement is that it produces a very HOT flame for a long time to bring the motor up to pressure. E matches are not good for this because if you hook it up to most commercial rocket launch controllers, the continuity test would fire it! Also the large chip means the possibility of a CATO due to the nozzle becoming obstructed. E matches have its uses, mostly for air starting motors (ie. staging) but I don't think their pyrogen is strong enough to ignite composite motors without being augmented with something... I read about thermalite being used but you also need a ATFE license to have it too. I'm actually thinking metal fueled star comp should work...

Edited by taiwanluthiers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been making conductive igniters using powdered graphite with great success for quite a few years. I use them to ignite High power sugar rocket motors. My method is fleshed out on my web site:

ajolleyplace.com/Igniters

Thanks B. I looked around the site but didn't find it.

As for Ignitor placement, if your fuel is weak and you are trying to spice it up put it all the way in. If your fuel is hot and your motor is on the edge of blowing up Then put it just in by the nozzle. Hope that makes sense.