APC Forum

Becoming legal

Sparx88

As some of you know I am currently working towards becoming legal to use and store bp, fuse and some fireworks both consumer and commercial. To start I have settled on this magazine in the link. It's a type 4 and not too expensive. this with a type 54 license will do me well to start from what I gather. Just wanted to share the link in case anyone else is trying to do this too.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1360001&variation=

• Like 1

Yes. I have a large shed about 80 ft away from the house that is 35' x 14'. I have it divided in the middle, or should I say there is an extra wall I built into it to seperate the back from the front with even another locked door. It would be stored in the back ofcourse bolted to the floor. I was using a floor freezer but thats not gonna fly I don't think with the inspector. Plus it takes up a lot of room for just being 1/3 full.

22" x 11" x 14" seems a bit small and only 29lbs???

Money might be better spent on a Jobox from HD.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-32-in-x-19-in-Portable-Storage-Chest-2032-OS/100189569

Do you have one of those? Was it approved? If so thats an option to consider.

Just starting out small and when I'm good to go with everything on the up I'll look into maybe applying then for manufacture of 1.3/1.4. only, no HE. Then well, I would need a larger mag. Which would be an outdoor type on a foundation lag/shield bolted to the concrete I suppose. Thats going to be a little ways off so I'm just in dreamland right now :)

Just found this version from another place a little cheaper...

http://merlinmissiles.com/explosives_magazine.html

Edited by Sparx88

I don't have one of those Jobox versions but several others do and have adopted to ATF specs. Granted it's a bit more work but it's also less money for a larger storage space. I understand where you are coming from with sizes and future dreaming though. ;)

I have a jobox but I use it outdoors. It is their large slope front. I welded on brackets for "hockey puck locks". The inspector approved a "variance" which then allowed me to have my license. I'll post it back to my gallery for an example. Your original post showed the locks straight up to take on rain so I would not use it as an outdoor mag. Your inspector will have plenty to look at so you want to be on your "A" game. If you have a 150' and more from anything that isn't yours as a living structure I would upgrade your thought to an outdoor. It is up to you for a predetermined capacity to keep on hand so I didn't question the size, especially as an indoor mag. How much do you want to store is the question?

At a 50 lb limit for indoor I would be well covered. I've never even been half that ever. Just to store bp, fuse, match, and regular pyro chems that require a mag. The one's that don't won't be in there. But even that is secondary as I want to be legal to buy,have,store and use 1.3/1.4 fireworks. And, even with that I'm only talking 3" shell/cans and under, cakes etc. So I'm torn between going bigger to start or keep it simple and small to start. Since I won't have the manufacture license to start off with it would be wise not to try and pull that move. I want them to be able to trust me. I really just want to do it right and not do anything that will ruin it. It's time to grow up and do it serious and legal. I don't want to have to be worried everytime I want to light up the sky. And I want to be able in the future to come out to the shoots legal and bringing my own sky paint and meeting all you guys. Kicken back, pushin buttons and going gray under the stars, oohs and ahhs in the background and an occasional laugh.....oh yah, sorry, dreamland again. :)

I was checking out your pics Mark and that is a nice box. Did you have to bolt it down at all?

Edited by Sparx88

Hey Sparx,

No, it is not bolted down. The inspector was giving me crap about how someone was going to come with a boat and take it away. Until they came for the initial interview. Then reality set in and life was good. Also you will be able to do all that you would like to do with a type 54. You just won't be able to store a box of salutes in said mag.

From what I understand, you can mix half that box of salutes with color shells and it is no longer considered salutes and treated like color shells instead.

Something to do with the verbiage of the rule.

From what I understand, you can mix half that box of salutes with color shells and it is no longer considered salutes and treated like color shells instead.

Something to do with the verbiage of the rule.

Depends on the inspector, since ive had a licence we have had two different inspectors, and they were/are ok with 71 salutes 1 color shell in a case.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that Sparx, That would be perfect for me. A friend of mine bought a construction day box but I don't know if that would be an approved storage box or not. This is for sure! As always Sparx, your very helpful.

Mike

The salute/color shell mixing thing cracked me up :D I was like if there is a way to do it, someone here would certainly find it. I think it runs in the blood. We like loop holes. I would still have to ask the spector though and I hope that won't alert him/her into wondering what other ideas I have on mind lol. But seriously I am just going to go a step at a time and pray I don't goof up.

Mike, I'm honored to be a help in any way possible.