APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Well, It's 'pyrotechnic' or I wouldn't post it. But my ONLY accomplishment today was to drive 163 miles to pick up some sheet-goods that are destined to become multi-shot comet plates Friday.

The source shipped them a day later than promised, then the lading company declared that they wouldn't be here until Monday... which was the delivery day.... So I went and got them in my trailer behind my passenger car! <grin>

And that was all I got done 'productively' today. <sigh>

Lloyd

quick question , my lampares dont fit the tubes i have , way to tight of a fit to fire safely , i have 2 options , remove the QM drill holes in the bottoms of the tubes for fuse , and fire them that way.They will fit int he tubes properly this way

or B string them up with the salutes and fire them that way

no fire danger to the ground if i hang them its a fresh plowed and disc'ed farm field

thoughts?

I don't quite 'get' what you're describing about the quick-match piping. Can you give us a quicky drawing to explain?

ANYthing you might do to compromise a lampare's 'lift safety' is a complete "no-no". You'd be better off 'stringing them up', if the method you're suggesting could in any way cause them to go in the pipes.

Lloyd

I don't quite 'get' what you're describing about the quick-match piping. Can you give us a quicky drawing to explain?

ANYthing you might do to compromise a lampare's 'lift safety' is a complete "no-no". You'd be better off 'stringing them up', if the method you're suggesting could in any way cause them to go in the pipes.

Lloyd

basically the lampares wont drop into my tubes with the QM on them , to tight of a fit because of the QM running down the side

so i was thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom of the tubes for fuse , cutting the lift cup off the lampares dumping the bp into the tube then dropping the lampare in intop of it , without the fuse/Qm running down the side of the lampare it drops and fits the tube nicely

pqA51Pz.png

Edited by RiderX

Eh... that ought to work without causing undue danger... but then you wreck your pipes!

If you choose to do that, 1) make the hole as tiny as you can to get the fuse through, lest you reduce the lift force, and 2) make sure the pipes are ABSOLUTELY DRY, and 3) make sure the shell seats down on the lift powder (and is as well-contained as it would be with the lift cup).

You might want to consider SLIGHTLY increasing the amount of lift to account for the lack of containment the existing lift cup gives. I know it's not much... but ANY containment increases the rate at which BP burns; and thus, the amount of lift force it will produce per given volume.

Lloyd

Eh... that ought to work without causing undue danger... but then you wreck your pipes!

If you choose to do that, 1) make the hole as tiny as you can to get the fuse through, lest you reduce the lift force, and 2) make sure the pipes are ABSOLUTELY DRY, and 3) make sure the shell seats down on the lift powder (and is as well-contained as it would be with the lift cup).

You might want to consider SLIGHTLY increasing the amount of lift to account for the lack of containment the existing lift cup gives. I know it's not much... but ANY containment increases the rate at which BP burns; and thus, the amount of lift force it will produce per given volume.

Lloyd

using really heavy cardboard mortars for them , so i dont care about ruining them ,ill throw and extra 3g or so of bp in it . the very first lampare i tried blew up in the gun , and i was standing way to close , i had a 15 inch 1.91 tube inside of a 3 inch tube and it destroyed both tubes i wont be anywere around them this time

changed my mind , im going to hang them , the lampares are awfully heavy compared to whats normally fired out of those tubes so im not 100% sure it just wont blow the tube apart trying to lift them

almost dark so were all heading over now , ill do the final checks on everything and then cross my fingers and light the fuse , everything is on 1 fuse , with a 2 ft piece of 30 secon visco to start it so i have time to get back and enjoy it myself

well except for this

i turned one of these

hPJbWwU.png

into

cvsvXDM.png

and this reason everyone was kept far away from were they were being shot from

ps i was well clear of danger myself couple hundred ft away

Edited by RiderX
  • Like 1

oops!

Glad everyone was safe and sound.

Here's some smoke I've been fooling with.

• Like 1

my buddy forgot to hit record on the main camera , but he did capture it all on his cellphone , so next time i see him ill get that video from him

i burnt ups ome leftovers (13 of them ) today so ill post that

heres some pictures of carnage as i was cleaning up today

heres how far pieces fo that mortar rack flew , i found a tube another 50 ft further away

BALWz9v.jpg

tossing it all in a pile

uygzywJ.jpg

I tested my PTF gauge for leaks and dwell, created a conversion chart for it, and Santa's getting me Caleb's fancy star gun from Woody's Rocks awesome web store sale. I also scored lots of bamboo from a big stand across the lake, and made long, knot free rocket stabilizer sticks. I sense that rockets are in my near future. Edited by PeteyPyro

Got home in time to put the final paste layer on my 3" ball shells and headings and classified all of the BP I spent last weekend milling and granulating. Printing out formulas for the star comps I need to get busy with. Going to try to get some paper cut for 4" cylinders as well.

Edited by OldMarine

With all of this cooler weather, I cast over 20 pounds of .461", 12% antimony alloy, for my newest mill. Great day for it!

My last two weekends have been spent enclosing a new bay in the shop. It's been 15 years since I did any framing (when I built our house), so it took me the first weekend to re-learn some old skills. Thank goodness, at least, that my tools still worked properly after that long (pneumatic nailer, etc.)

This weekend went a LOT faster for the same results. Last week, it took 1-1/2 days to frame 25', 1-1/2 days to put up the plywood and moisture barrier, and a day to put up the metal. I started on a Thursday, and finished late on Sunday.

Yesterday, in 3.2 hours, I put up the second 26' wall, then put up the plywood and the moisture barrier in about 7 hours today. Tomorrow, I hang the metal siding! Friday, I did client duties until noon, then started framing. It was done by 3:15. Today, I started work at 8:30, and finished-up before 3pm. Tomorrow WILL be a good day!

(Yay!)

Lloyd

Made a sali rocket with my new press and strobe tooling.

and then let er rip!