APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

I stuck with it and got them all pressed and dried. Couldn't finish any of them since they wouldn't let me bring them to the hospital for some reason. Had another bout of anaphylaxis and they decided to keep me for a few days.

I had a three day building marathon. Got the entire exterior of the new pyro shed done, minus the tar paper and shingles. I'm still uncertain if I should put any windows in it, I just don't want to make it any easier for a would be prowler.

Lloyd if I was close I'd come down to help out, I've got my hands full even without hurricane damage, I can only imagine the mess down there.

And Patrick I feel for you, I'm allergic to penicillin, nickel and an unknown fruit, all of them give me anaphylactic shock. The nickel allergy really sucks because I weld for a living, i need to stay far away from anyone welding stainless, It has cost me jobs.

post-20510-0-20165800-1506291100_thumb.jpg

post-20510-0-82502600-1506291147_thumb.jpg

Edited by NeighborJ
  • Like 1

Definitely put windows in, but make shutters blind-hinged, and locked from the inside. A prowler who's determined might pry them off... but he might also pry your door off, if he's that intent on getting in.

You'll miss windows if you don't have them. My machine shop doesn't have them. And by now, I've got every wall covered, anyway. I like seeing the daylight, and being able to monitor goings-on outside.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd
  • Like 1

Yeah I would really like to install Windows, I have two tiny double hung windows left over from when I built my house. They would work nicely in the shed, I would at least know if a visitor has pulled into the driveway. I haven't had any suspicious activity here in the last 18 years but I want to minimize any kind of invitation.

Getting 2 buckets to do a improved tlud version, and use the one i have as an second, aditional tlud if i need more charcoal and cant wait for the other to finish.

I also have wood and wire mesh to make some screens, and planning also a drying chamber.

Edited by whitewolf_573

Found this 10 ton hydraulic log splitter, and am brainstorming how to use it as a rocket/star plate press. Perhaps an electric hydraulic pump, a PTF gauge, and some scrap scrap steel for the arbor chassis and lexan shield frame. Has anyone else here tried to 'press' into service something like this? Any ideas? If I can pull this off, it would be a totally 'jacked' press.
  • Like 1

I've seen the similar harbor freight log splitter and "rocket press" instantly poped into my mind. It would work great if it had a flat plate welded to the splitter blade. It would work well as a baby star plate press but some shim stock would be needed to lengthen the ram to accomodate them.

Thanks, NeighborJ. I was thinking along those lines too. I can cut off the wedge, and I have some 3/4" plate steel to replace it. There is over 18" of 'throw' to the cylinder's piston, so short tubes may fit. I'm looking for the scrap lexan now, which is hard to find, for a shield for the press. I'll make the shield frame to fit the lexan or other "bullet resistant" shielding, after I figure out how and where it needs it. This is a work in progress...

Petey I tacked a old socket to the crank handle lever holder on my press, it allows me to set a torque wrench with a PTF guage and press to the same pressure every time.

NOOOO! Make an adaptor plate that fits over the wedge, and serves the purpose without 'killing' its usefulness as a log splitter!

It could be an easy 'clamp-on' affair that would leave the splitter intact when you wanted to use it for its original purpose!

Hydraulic splitter wedges don't NEED to be real sharp -- although it helps, so a little edge-marring wouldn't spoil the tool's primary purpose.

Lloyd

I never thought of making a cover for the wedge on my splitter. I have a 30 ton press now!

Put the second layer on some disc pasted 3" ball shells today. Haven't made but a few so this is still a learning process. I really like the disc pasting method.

Edited by OldMarine

Some great ideas, guys. I'll make an adapter plate to cover the wedge as Lloyd shared, and preserve its original function. Pix coming. Congrats to OM on his 30 T press. <grin>

Petey, I've got one of the HF manual splitters as well. It had both fast and slow pumps on it so would probably work faster than my manual 6 ton from Caleb does a is.

Yup, OM, I'm guessing that hydraulics would pump the larger cylinder for quick slack take-up, and the smaller one for the final compression and dwell time. I'm looking at Caleb's PTF gauge set up, as well as Wolters and Ben Smith's. I'm considering ordering this cheap (<$10) pressure gauge to make the PTF setup described by Skylighters article.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Brass-1-4-NPT-Male-Hydraulic-Liquid-Filled-Pressure-Measuring-Gauge-0-3500-PSI/291672552291?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3Ddae4cbdf93ee4b0eac7d32e79ff77daf%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D253171356987&_trksid=p2349624.c100408.m2460

And tap the main hydraulic reservoir for this gauge with this 1/4" NPT Lowe's tap,

https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-HANSON-2-Pack-SAE-Tap-and-Drill-Set/50214679?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SpecialtyHandTools-_-50214679:IRWIN&CAWELAID=&kpid=50214679&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1945&k_clickID=facfb4a5-dedb-40d4-9c82-f3be33eb6be3&gclid=CjwKCAjwu7LOBRBZEiwAQtfbGKDCwhN69gmfj-rar9j54COj3lgpn-nIEXLdBeolLQqgVNJZCK6pQhoC4XcQAvD_BwE

Any thoughts on this? For pyro today, I'm making the anvil from solid oak since I need a new blade for the metal bandsaw. I'll post pix, and maybe a tutorial in rocketry/tooling once done. Thanks for the ideas. They really helped me.

Edited by PeteyPyro

I'd just get Caleb's PTF gauge. It has a 1 square inch piston so gives a true reading with no math needed other than rammer area. He also will fix them if we unfix them.

I'm going to weld me up a wedge adapter for both the HF splitter and my Husky gas model. 4"comets sound appealing.

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

OM, don't forget pucking & corning BP with that 4" comet press too. <grin> I'm out to the shed early today.

I tried corning BP and didn't find it worth the effort but I'm in love with big ole comets! Playing with some 1¾" crossettes today and want to get bigger.

In other news: One of my cats decided to try to use my screens full of dying coated rice hulls for a bed or litterbox. I caught her just before the deed but plan on building a screened box for outdoor drying soon. If kitty had ruined 2 lbs of hulls I'd probably have strapped her to my next rocket.

• Like 1

Got home at a decent hour and decided to work on my cluster rocket a bit. After reading up on the BFR rockets that Dave Ferguson won the Guinness World record with and picking his brain, I've switched to super fast visco rather than QM for fusing of the ring of ½" BP+ whistle motors of the first stage.

I'm keeping the double QM fusing for the 2nd stage since it has worked well.

Hehe! I think I'd give up pyro if BP smelled like cat piss.

You just have to shoot it up higher............ :unsure: Pat

Made up another 3 lbs of coated rice hulls, lifted and leadered some 3" ball shells I made last week and pressed the ½" rockets for my next two cluster rocket tests. I've got more BP for rocket fuel milling and am making up a few lbs of Buttered Popcorn glitter to press up later. I also plan on using this for the delay in my ¾" central rocket in the cluster thingy.
  • Like 1