APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

The rubber stars are easy to cut and pretty much only the carbonates are the big difference. All of the chems are very useful in other comps since there's nothing exotic. Most can be used for colored gerbs,saxons and tourbillions as well.

Get it while you can!

http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2010/06/how-to-make-a-rainbow-of-colored-screen-sliced-rubber-stars.html

Edited by OldMarine

Hardt sulfer blue. I'm shocked OM didn't suggest it. I believe it's listed on the fireworks cookbook site.

Yeah, Hardt's sulfur blue is my current favorite and it takes no exotics to make. The rubber stars are still your cheapest route to the other colors though. I'd invest in both perc and parlon from CouveGuy for all of the above since they are your staples in these comps.

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

Made 10# of the pyrotex sodium glitter today. Half are large cut stars and half are rolled. Wasn't sure about the appropriate sizes so I made them all over the map and will test each size for an appropriate size shell. Also completed the pasting of 18 inserts I started last week. They are rin, with the exception of the outer fire barrier. Only another 27 to paste, just takin small bites out of this project so I don't get burnt out on inserts.

post-20510-0-66861200-1503266136_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

LOTs of chlorine donors will work, including Parlon and Saran.

There are tons of formulae out there that utilize one or the other. Heck... we haven't been able to (commercially) purchase dechlorane (unless we just found a drum as 'surplus') for more than two decades!

Lloyd

Sorry, I've used both saran and parlon as substitutes. They both work just as well. I was going to try chlorowax but never got round to it.

Didn't realize it was banned, we had boxes filled with it at a previous employer. It worked well to slow the progression of oil thru drained oil lines as we welded in tees. Nothing else seemed to work, and Its hard to make a weld with oil draining on you. Its main use was as a fire suppressant.

How much dechlorane do you need? I have some, not much, would be willing to sell a bit if you're just looking to test something out.

How much dechlorane do you need? I have some, not much, would be willing to sell a bit if you're just looking to test something out.

20 grams would make me a 500 gram batch of stars

but if i could substitute something else for it id rather do that so i could just buy a pound of it

edit nm apparently i can use parlon or saran

Edited by RiderX

Sorry, I've used both saran and parlon as substitutes. They both work just as well. I was going to try chlorowax but never got round to it.

Didn't realize it was banned, we had boxes filled with it at a previous employer. It worked well to slow the progression of oil thru drained oil lines as we welded in tees. Nothing else seemed to work, and Its hard to make a weld with oil draining on you. Its main use was as a fire suppressant.

opps i didnt see this , ill just pick up one of those , when using rither as a sub do i have to use more or less of them etc

First light in about 20 years. Made a small batch of screened BP and coated some rice hulls.

Something about that smell...

Austin

I have some dechlorane that was given to me by a fellow pyro because he didn't need it and I'm about the same as him now. I'd just as soon use the cheaper and more accessible chems such as those noted above even if it did perform better. Who'd want to see the last of a great thing go up in smoke?

im going to wait a few days and see if they get any of that charcoal back in before i order the stuff i need for the blue stars

A pound of copper oxychloride will last a long time at our rate of usage. I've made at least 5 lbs of blue stars and i have plenty of the Cu2(OH)3Cl left to go.

I forgot to include that I also use the copper in my whistle along with the blue stars so it goes a long way!

Edited by OldMarine

A pound of copper oxychloride will last a long time at our rate of usage. I've made at least 5 lbs of blue stars and i have plenty of the Cu2(OH)3Cl left to go.

I forgot to include that I also use the copper in my whistle along with the blue stars so it goes a long way!

good to know , since im waiting on them for the charcoal i ordered a few pounds of milled potassium nitrate , some more lampare kits , and some dr 11 , 15 inch tubes and wider gummed tape

im going to need a bigger workshop

Edited by RiderX

good to know , since im waiting on them for the charcoal i ordered a few pounds of milled potassium nitrate , some more lampare kits , and some dr 11 , 15 inch tubes and wider gummed tape

im going to need a bigger workshop

Hehe! It only gets worse!

I feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment if I don't have at least one package to open every week. I can't wait for it to come but when it does I need to order something else so I've got something else to look forward too. Vicious cycle.
  • Like 1

I feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment if I don't have at least one package to open every week. I can't wait for it to come but when it does I need to order something else so I've got something else to look forward too. Vicious cycle.

ive got a box comming today , again on wensday , and then i dont know when the other 2 are comming , its like xmas

I'm totally depressed if I don't see a brown truck once a week. The USPS crew is fine but they usually drop and go but the UPS and FedEx guys want to hand it to you.

Makes it feel more personal and hence I love those guys!

I have never had FedEx or UPS try to hand me anything I didn't pay extra for signature delivery (or was alcohol, requires age verification), even before I started working nights and put up a sign to not ring the doorbell during the day. Do you pay extra for such delivery?

My UPS and FedEx guys come right to my shop door, knock, smile, and call me by name. They only 'drop off' if I'm not there (and it doesn't require a signature). Heck; if they have the time, they'll sometimes even start up a brief conversation about 'whatever'.

But I'm on first-name basis with the postal delivery man, too... so maybe it's just a 'country thing'. We do live way out in the 'boonies'.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

No boxes, no yellow or Brown delivery trucks for me....

I go shopping to the hardware stores to build my hydraulic press. ("especially" for Lloyds buttered popcorns😀)

Edited by Sulphurstan

frigen post office lost my box from pyro creations , not the first time its happenes they useually find it in a day or 2 . thing i dont get is my towns post office is tiny , how the hell they can misplace a large box inside there is beyond me

• Like 1