APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Disappointed with the chrysanthemum 6 duration of firedust (not able to find a suitable charcoal type /mesh size?), I burned a mix of wine charcoal BP with saw dust, and -on the ground- the fire dust was better than the chrysanthemum mix regarding the firedust...

Do you think that adding sawdust to the star composition (chrysanthemum mix) could improve the duration of this orange fire dust?

Any idea welcomed!

I'd try a coarser mesh of hardwood charcoal or a pine coal to prolong the sparks. I use charcoal cooked from shipping pallets for sparks with good results.
  • Like 1

I made up more "bio-friendly" shell casing materials today. Boring, long, slow, and not very satisfying, because I didn't get any actual casings made!

Tomorrow, I make shell casings!

Llody

i made another 25 1 inch canister shells , some are glitter some are streamers, and some are a mix , hopefully i get to shoot them tonight along with the 2.5 and 3 inch nested shells im trying out

I got to give my first, first place award to a new Italian style shell builder today from our class at PGI. He is etatically happy with the trophy and for winning first place. A great class, great helpers, a great community here at PGI!

Disappointed with the chrysanthemum 6 duration of firedust (not able to find a suitable charcoal type /mesh size?), I burned a mix of wine charcoal BP with saw dust, and -on the ground- the fire dust was better than the chrysanthemum mix regarding the firedust...

Do you think that adding sawdust to the star composition (chrysanthemum mix) could improve the duration of this orange fire dust?

Any idea welcomed!

Sulpurstan, the firedust from C6 is the shortest- lived of all. Try C8 or tigertail. If that is not good enough, try tiger willow. If that doesn't look good, your charcoal is no good for stars :)

Edited by DavidF
  • Like 1

everything up until 1:08 is my 1 inch mini cans , the big shells at the end was just left over stars and scraps that were all different sizes so i used them to try out more nested shells , and diff break charges

Ordered a blade for my shade/tube cutter but I believe the pyro I bought it from has provided the extra parts necessary to adapt it to the machine so I'll hold off on ordering anything else for now. I can't wait to get this thing operational since my miter box/pull saw wears my arthritic joints out and my power miter, even with a laminate cutting blade, leaves a lot of fluff on the ends.

Here's a video of one in action:

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 2

Built 45 inserts today. My poor hands are cramped so I only got 15 of them spiked with their first layer. The rest will need to wait for another day. I can't wait to load them in some 6" shells, I'm particularly anxious to see the 22 I loaded with carbon black around Majd purple. The other 23 are all N1. I'm surprised with how many I was able to make once I got in a rhythm. I trust that everyone else had a good weekend.

Jason

post-20510-0-46943500-1502665968_thumb.jpg

I made and tested some -4 +8 canon powder on top of the mill barricade. I was running low.

Edited for powder size clarification

Edited by PeteyPyro

Petey,

There's nothing technically incorrect about what you stated. It is just as correct (in a purely technical sense) to say "+8 -4" when referring to a screen-mesh size of particles as it is to say "-4+8".

However (and only for your information), the industry standard (and pretty much the world standard in the chemicals industry) is to specify the larger 'falls through' screen size first; vis: "-4 +8".

The reason for that is 'old school practicality'. Screens for classifying in industry are 'stacked' -- usually several meshes in a stack, not just one or two.

The finest screens are on the bottom, and go coarser as you rise up the stack. For beginners who don't know the vernacular, they can translate a negative sign to the words "falls through", and the plus sign as "stays above".

So, the powder you produced "Falls through 4, and stays on 8"; or -4 +8 !!

You obviously have the concept right. I hope that explains the vernacular, too.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks Lloyd. At least I wrote it right on the disposable paper powder scoop.

Dyslexic Petey <tears flowing >

last few days , ive been making batches of bp and stars trying to stock up, a single batch just doesnt last me long and im tired of running out lol

also ended up buying some more 1 x 2.5 tubes for making small canisters 2.5 x 4.5 tubes for making larger canisters , 50 ft of yellow artillery shell fuse and 65ft of 3mm visco

Edited by RiderX

Got a free Cairns & Brother firefighter helmet with face shield today. Was shocked when I looked it up online and found it sells for over $250.

post-20116-0-69287300-1502929755_thumb.jpg

'Succeeded in making and testing a proper fire-inhibiting method for mass-produced crossettes that doesn't require 'pasting-in'.

Also got customer approval to go-ahead and make the tools and appurtenances to do the operation. (Yay! More business!)

Lloyd

• Like 1

'Succeeded in making and testing a proper fire-inhibiting method for mass-produced crossettes that doesn't require 'pasting-in'.

Also got customer approval to go-ahead and make the tools and appurtenances to do the operation. (Yay! More business!)

Lloyd

Ooh a bunch of things come to mind. Any hints? I have a few thoughts here but not all would be environmentally responsible.

Mumbles if you're checking this out, i got a lil ol' care package from firefox today.

Edited by rogeryermaw
  • Like 2

I commissioned a new in-ground barricaded milling pit. It was a bbq pit before this. I use my worn out slick tires on top, as they are the perfect diameter for great shielding upwards. It's over 100 feet from the sheds, and far from any dwellings.

• Like 2

Using flash to loosen extremely packed ground....to dig a small pet grave... :(

Sorry to hear that. My big ole dog is going downhill and rather than bury her I'm thinking of a Viking funeral since she loved going out on the boat. Got a nice secluded cove and an old canoe ready for the sendoff.

post-20116-0-00059200-1503171304_thumb.jpg

nice

Thanks, Rider. I was using my 4'x7' barbecue pit, lined with refractory brick, but I didn't like having to shovel out the ashes just to mill. The new round pit is just to the left of the big one, and can fit either 2 little 6 pounder HF optimized tumblers, or one larger Rebel 17 upgraded mill.

Spent most of the day making pistons and bags for mines, lots and lots and lots of mines. From now on I'm just going to buy paper discs, I killed my scissors and my hands cutting them all.

Mixed up some Buttered Popcorn glitter subbing phenolic/hex for the dextrin to try for some crackling comets. Others have said this glitter works pretty well with the resin so I figured I'd give it a try.

I was saddened to hear Piro's NaNO3 glitter wasn't compatible with the resin since it would have mitigated the hygroscopicity I think.

Finishing a bronze core for 19mm core burner rocket tooling. Broke it in half when finishing the draft turning between points..... I have a lot to relearn. (Or to learn. I never turned between points of centre before, this is what CNC is for) XD

Will try again with inox after I manage to recenter the tail stock.

so far today ive bee trying to figure out what color stars i want to make so i can order up the supplies tonight , so many choices i cant make up my mind :(

anyone got suggestions for easy to make color stars that i can cut, easy would be the fewest chems possible or ones that i can use them for other colors

Edited by RiderX