APC Forum

What did you do today in pyro?

dagabu

Yep I am liking it, and I have an endless supply of both black willow and white ash. I also have a weeping willow growing in the back yard I have taken trimming from it does pretty good aswell.

Been sicker than hell but still managed to tar and spool a few hundred feet of hemp twine. I have plenty of 4" discs and paper cut for 4" cylinders to get ready for Independence Day. Just have to crank out some stars. I have my lift and burst (except for flash booster) ready to go as well. I'd gladl take a week off from work for just pyro but pneumonia takes the fun out of everything.

OldMarine, I first read Lloyd response and I was thinking maybe you needed your meds for being off you rocker and that Lloyd fell out his in Dec. and Jan. But then I was relieved to see what you needed to be on your meds for and was glad to know, your both are still off your rockers. Get well soon..................Pat

Once you get a rhythm going applying the tar is like playing a violin and can actually be relaxing. I did this batch to "All My Love" by Zepplin and a few other songs I don't really care for from that album...

https://youtu.be/zeVz5R2lDQk

Edited to a version with the keyboard solo which is key to the song!

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always have music playing when working on my pyro stuff. As far as Led Zepplin, I think I've over heard it. Their songs were some of the first I learned to play on guitar, when I was early-on in learning to play. Repetition makes for perfection, but you also get sick of the songs!

Mat,

I do this for a living. I would never have anything that might distract my attention away from the tasks at hand when I'm handling explosives.

I LOVE my music. I LOVE my radio shows. I HATE being injured because of my distractions or inattention.

My (personal) advice would be: Listen to your music while your washing-up outside, stacking equipment, or putting finished goods in boxes.

Don't play anything you might want to "sing along with" while you're processing live materials.

Just my 2-cents.

Lloyd

• Like 1

My (personal) advice would be: Listen to your music while your washing-up outside, stacking equipment, or putting finished goods in boxes.

Don't play anything you might want to "sing along with" while you're processing live materials.

I guess this means Lloyd is recommending the classical or jazz music radio stations...

Personally, I prefer euro-house. No lyrics to distract and won't put me to sleep. If I can't concentrate enough to do calculus in my head while it plays, it is not suitable for my fireworking. Also, kept on a lower volume, so it is just there to keep my mind from wandering inward while I work.

I find that ambient, instrumental, and foreign language music are good for getting work done and not being distracting. If I want something that has lyrics but isn't distracting, another language works well because I don't try to listen or sing along.

Starxplor,

I can even get 'lost' in some jazz, classical, or easy-listening... if I know the tune, or it's a favorite piece, I can get distracted. So, when I (personally) am doing detailed work, or mixing explosives, or pressing/rolling stars, I tend to just turn off the tunes, entirely.

When I get to a point in my work where distractions might affect its quality, but not jeopardize my life, then I feel safe to turn 'em back on.

We had 'standing policy' at the factory: We allowed battery-powered music devices to be placed outside an open window to a work building, so long as the volume was not high enough to prevent normal spoken conversation. But if we saw that anyone was "singing along" or keeping rhythm with body or hands, they were too involved in the music to concentrate on safety. In that case, they had to turn it off.

There's just too little to gain, and too much to lose to do otherwise.

LLoyd

Huh? I'm not sure I see how it's inappropriate to discuss the safety issues of distractions in a "what did you do in pyro today" discussion.

What am I missing, Stix?

LLoyd

I keep a radio going due to tinnitus. Too many years of guns and whatnot have left me with a very annoying ringing/squealing which is much more distracting than radio noise. I don't really hear it, just something to cover the noise.

On a lighter note: Received my 3/4" and 5/8" saxon tooling from Caleb along with a bunch of 3"-4" end discs. Getting ready to get busy!

Edited by OldMarine

All I was able to do to day was make some MCRH. And a 3/4" stinger which I think is my favorite thing to do now. I have only made the one but I am feeling the need to go bigger. LOL

Huh? I'm not sure I see how it's inappropriate to discuss the safety issues of distractions in a "what did you do in pyro today" discussion.

What am I missing, Stix?

LLoyd

Personally i think it's to important a topic to be hidden on page 35, in the backwater of a thread nobody ever is going to read up on, and where the ideas shared, cant, and wont, be easily found through searching.

Not sure if he was thinking along the same lines or what.

• Like 1

If that's the reasoning, then it should be promoted to its own thread, by someone who deems it worth doing.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Today I have made 500g batch of 13mm glitter comets with single pump... :)

Must have taken most of the day :o

I rarely pump more than 15-20 stars in one session, then I get tired of it and begin something else.

It took me a few sessions before I realized I need to size my batches to that.

Edited by Ubehage
  • Like 1

Made some jopetes red1, blue1 and chrysanthemum cut stars 9 mm. These little cubes looks cute...

Must have taken most of the day :o

I rarely pump more than 15-20 stars in one session, then I get tired of it and begin something else.

It took me a few sessions before I realized I need to size my batches to that.

Finished after 1,5 hour. When doing pyro, time really flies.

It's really disappointing, you're right but i don't have other option.

I've bought only one star plate from China which is 10mm in diameter. For bigger shells i have to pump stars this way. <_<

Definately I need to buy bigger plate or make multi pump from copper tubes and aluminium rods.

Edited by limak
  • Like 1

I finished the design, making, and testing of a new hemisphere mold for 'custom' shell. Also found a company to supply a tool I needed for 1/5th the price I could have made it myself!

Lloyd

If that's the reasoning, then it should be promoted to its own thread, by someone who deems it worth doing.

Lloyd

As i said, it was purely speculative, and as far as to moving / creating new threads for it... Isn't there already a "safety in our work environment" kind of thread where it would be a crazy good tip?

As for what i did today in pyro. Re-organized finished product, checked labels, and loaded it in to open buckets, and stacked them in 200L steel barrels with silica gel in the bottom. (55 gallons?)

Started stockpiling "components" for newyears mad rush. With the hot / cold cycling my storage goes through, i tend to have condensation issues, so i thought i'd try something new. The barrels were a PAIN to get clean even with a hot water pressure washer. Used to contain grease for different semi-truck applications. The worst ones were probably the one with the blue grease, for wheel bearings. You would think it was heat, and water resistant...

Made a PVC support for my 5/8" saxon tubes and pressed up a few color changers using the new tooling from Caleb. Playing with ¾" tube lengths to see how long I can make them without too much erosion or burn through. It looks like 6" is workable so far but I'm going to test a few more.