APC Forum

Where can i buy a ball mill

insutama

Im looking to buy a ball mill and the only thing i can find in my city is rock polisher and the biggest one has a 1 quart drum so i think this is too small plus is 140$ for this small tumbler were else could i look to find a mill ?

http://m.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

This is the one that I have. It is a rock tumbler, but is also only 55 bucks plus shipping and handling. It comes with two jars, and works just fine. Many people complain about having issues with the belts breaking, but it does come with a few replacements. I've never had any problems with mine, but some people buy o rings to replace the belt.

• Like 1

Says the left hand to the right... ;)

User error :P

No idea if HF ships to Canada, but I'm sure you can call or find shipping info on their site.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Says the left hand to the right... ;)

Now thats uncalled for. I want you to (left) pinky swear that it's never going to happen again. Why left? Well... BB? You have any idea?

Outsiders would think thats a horrible joke, i'm sure. I'm just happy these "recent" accidents ended "as well" as they did. BB still got both his hands left, hell, most of the right hand should even be usable at this point. Dagabu seams to be in good spirits, and even if he's never going to be quite as handsome as some old pictures show him to be. Hell, he's even supporting his "kids" (i saw that picture. Thats not exactly what i call a kid anymore) in their pyro efforts. And i'm quite sure they are aware of the risks involved, so they got a good reason to stay safe... Mumbles blew up even earlier. It was a bit less public when it comes to the damage received, and the reasons to why it went wrong, but he to is still around. I guess when it all boils down to it, people who dabble with pyro either is to dumb to take a hint, and quit, or we just REALLY like the smell of black powder, and crude jokes and poking fun amongst friends is how we deal with the knowledge of the risk involved...

I mean, if were going to stop making pyro. What then? There is some risk involved with everything i find fun. I cant just stop everything. Then i might as well just lay down and die...

B!

I hate driving to work and then back home, but it's still the most dangerous thing I do everyday... and I don't plan on stopping just because many die doing it everyday.

No idea if HF ships to Canada, but I'm sure you can call find shipping info on their site.

For anyone who wish to buy items in the US - items that you can legally buy, according to your own laws - you can use http://shopusa.com

I'm not trying to advertise them or anything.. I used them once, and it makes everything a whole lot easier. A bit more expensive, though :(

...Well... BB? You have any idea?...

I haven't the foggiest.

For a start be satisfied with a moderate mill. A rock tumbler is where almost every pyro starts. You certainly don't want to start a big mill running full before you have some experience. Small mills and small batches is one way to keep the inevitable starting blunders down to a reasonable size.

Do you have one of these? It looks very nice. Wondering if it needs any mods to get the RPMs right for milling, or if it's ready to go right out of the box.

If you have a fireworking.com subscription, see the mod Shawn did to this machine. I don't have one.

Edited by ddewees

I'm not a member over there. Was his mod one that changed the rotational speed of the drum?

Yes, I think he replaced the motor, and doubled the rpms with a new pulley. I don't own a ball mill, so I shouldn't be even engaging in this thread. :D

I'm not really sure if that unit works OK on its own, but I know he gave that one to a member there as a secret Santa gift. He's a very generous individual, as most pyros seem to be.

I need to find a place to buy a ball mill or rock tumbler that ships to canada and preferably one i dont have to mod can someone link me to a store ?

This is what i found no ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-LB-DUAL-DRUM-ROTARY-ROCK-TUMBLER-POLISHER-FREE-SHIP-/391037170368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0ba1b2c0

basically gonna cost me 100$ shipped is this a good buy looks like the one from http://m.harborfreig...ct/not provided but they dont ship to canada

would i need to upgrade this one for milling ?

Yes. They're fairly simple though. You need to increase the size of the drive roller either with tape or heater hose tubing.

It should be noted that all these rock tumblers will work as-is, but just take longer.

I just bought that one from ebay woohooo im so excited for it to get here so i can start making blackpowder and rockets :). What kind of grinding media should i use ? would marble be fine or are they to slow ?

Lead.

I'm saying this because I'm worried about you. You clearly have not done enough research, and seem to be avoiding it. This is a great way to get yourself hurt. We're here to assist not babysit. I really suggest taking a step back and doing some serious reading.

A member here had an accident using marbles not too long ago for what it's worth. http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9798-ball-mill-explosion/

• Like 1

...What kind of grinding media should i use ? would marble be fine or are they to slow ?

Oh hellll no!!!

Lead.

I'm saying this because I'm worried about you. You clearly have not done enough research, and seem to be avoiding it. This is a great way to get yourself hurt. We're here to assist not babysit. I really suggest taking a step back and doing some serious reading.

A member here had an accident using marbles not too long ago for what it's worth. http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9798-ball-mill-explosion/

+1 ad infinitum... Ad infinitum et ultra!

My ballmill won't be here for 4 weeks so I plan on doing a lot of reading can I use lead fishing weights?

My ballmill won't be here for 4 weeks so I plan on doing a lot of reading can I use lead fishing weights?

The short answer is, NO.

More technically, you can - if marbles is your only other option ;)

Fishing weights are often "opened"; split in one side.

In this crack, small amount of composition might build up, and contaminate your mixes. Maybe even lead to ignition.