APC Forum

Acquaintance died on NYE due to firework accident

FlaMtnBkr

Just found out a friend of a friend that I have met numerous times over the years passed away on NYE.

I don't have all the details but it sounds like he was lighting reloadable festival shells and there was a hang fire. After a few minutes he approached it and while bending over it fired and hit him in the throat which either collapsed his trachea or caused it to swell enough to block his airway.

A sobering reminder that all fireworks are dangerous and can be deadly. And just like a firearm, always pay attention and assume a shell can go off at any time and stay clear of the muzzle.

RIP Ray.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr

I'm extremely sorry to hear of this. My condolences to the family.

Sad to hear this kind of news, he broke the number one rule.

Never expose any body part to the muzzle of a loaded "gun".

• Like 1

Darn it! I am sorry for your loss, hell of a way to start the new year for his family and friends.

• Like 1

omg.... im really sorry to hear that ,my heart goes out to his family and him ...

Festival balls. Just reminds us all that even consumer grade pyro can easily kill.

Please pass along my condolences.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for his family's loss. Festival ball shells are one of the devices I use to demonstrate along with a 3 inch for showing the danger. Shooting a 1 3/4 festival ball thru a 3/8 plywood panel and a 3 inch thru a 3/4 plywood panel AND a frozen chicken same time. Even heard of a very small 3/8 inch tube on a small cake killing person when a late fired tube went thru his eye and into his head. He was picking it up after shooting it and was smelling it when it fired and killed him. Don't assume anything is safe. Could be your last mistake. BE SAFE.

Since this was brought back up I did learn more about it. An acquaintance is a nurse that works in the OR and worked on him when he came in. Out of respect for the deceased I won't go into details. But there would have been nothing anyone could have done to save him. And that was at a level 1 trauma center that is prepared for the worst.

Be careful. Even smaller fireworks are no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Fla. I had a hang fire also on NYE but I was taught in the Marines to wait at least 30 min. before approaching the devise, I was waiting about 5 min. and it went off. My training paid off again!

Mike

Edited by MWJ

Mike,

That is good information that everyone should know about, 30 mins wait time. I am extending my times from here on out. I wonder how many here would wait the full amount of time.......

FLA Mtn Biker, sorry for your friend and his family.

Matt

My condolences also to his family and friends. I will not go into details, but still carry 3 shards of shrapnel in my left hand from a childish experiment with .22 rounds, I was 13 years old at the time and ignorant. I have had some "close calls" so to speak with 1.4, am lucky, or maybe just blessed to be alive without serious injury. I thank all who maintain this forum and others that post and stress SAFETY! I am now pushing 60 years of age, but usually when I log on to this forum I look for new posts in the safety section first. I have read all the threads there numerous times, but I read and reread again. Just one slip of the hand or mind can easily change a life in the time of a heartbeat.

• Like 1

My sincere condolences ,

I remember the first time i was setting a display with my brother who has a company in the UK ,

I put my head over the 4 inch mine pipes ,i got the biggest bollocking of at i have ever had from my little brother.

Needless to say he was correct.

If something can go wrong it probably will.

I´m very sorry about your friend .