APC Forum

A fast red/green composition for GoGetters

mabuse00

I always wanted to realise a GoGetter header, maybe I'll finally do it this year.

I did some tests in the past, using the brilliant rubber/independence red nitrate only formulas suggested by Ned Gorski, using a small whistle tool with a spindle that resembles the suggested core dimensions.

My experience: priming is a PITA, burn rate is insuficient for nozzleless. Maybe I pressed to hard.

Some didn't even lifted of the ground.

While these stars are otherwise hard to beat, bright and pure, I need something else here, and I'm lacking trial time.

While remembering vaguely that I once found Kyle Kepleys Emerald Green/Ruby Red quite fast, and it's charcoal and sulphur content might ease ignition, maybe someone has another idea:

Can you suggest a red/green formula that

-burns very fast

-lights with little prime

-does not use Mg

?

For a white star, 5/3/2/1 KNO3/S/Al/Red Gum +5% Dex gives a star with enough power to be used for white gogetters. You can adjust the burn rate by choosing different sizes/types of al from -325 to flash grade.

For coloring a god point to start of should be to add +4 pvc and + 10 coloring agent, lowering the sulfur by ten (based on 50/30/20/10). If you have fine mgal it should also turn up the burn rate a bit.

Edited by schroedinger

Mabuse i had the same problem my green went up ok, red never left the ground.

I havent try with pyro magnal, but try with boiler anode magnalium (more Mg)

Sr(NO3)2 53
Anode MgAl 20
Parlon 17
KClO4 6
redgum 4

I did nozzleless rocket with this comp.

I didnt press, just bound with parlon in 12mm tube. Core: 5mm. Prime: KP/Magnal/C/redgum: 60/15/15/10

Must be prime full core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7yMYKMYYY

it would be try with fine pyro MgAL

Edited by nt8

Maybe try using a smaller diameter and longer coring tool? I Haven't messed with green and red but tests of my perc blue are very impressive.

@nt8:

nice one, well, that would be OK.

Core: 5mm

Diameter right? How long is it?

No doubt KNO3 slowflash would work, but I want colour.

green went up ok, red never left the ground

I could only notice this in humid wether or improperly dryed stars - no wonder. Using little PVB and use isopropanol as solvent alleviates the problem.