APC Forum

KNO3/Sugar rockets!!!

Fried Chicken

Well, this was a successful topic in the old forum, and is also the topic that I am interested in, so I thought I would start this topic again.

I have no more to say, I just think that it's essential that all the popular topics of the old forum are reposted in the new forum, for the purpose of the forum transition.

65:45 Kno3:Su ratio seems to be what most people use for this and what is reported to be the best ratios. tho i have seen people say 75:35 is also good.. never try that one tho.

adding 0.5-2% of total mixture with Fe2o3 (red iron oxide) seems to make it burn faster..

Apparently Recrystalising method apears to be 20% longer lasting burn rate with about the same ammount of power, to what i have observed.

There are lots of good ratios like you said 65:45 65:35

according to performence of my kn sugar i found that the best ratio is 68:32

the best ratio of your rockets is dependent according to the scale of the rockets so there isnt a specific best ratio

I assume this mixture is hygroscopic, how long could you store an engine before it would be unusuable? two days? What if i sealed it in an air tight container?

thanks

Yes its' very hygroscopic. The time you can store an engine before it would be unusable depends on you climate and humidity in the air.

And you can use air tight container to store it, I use Zip-Lock bags.

I put my engines in a ziplock bag and then put that in a air tight plastic container filled with salt. They seem to store for a long time this way.

Thanks, i think i shall have a go at a few of these!

I can see no reason why adding potassium perchlorate would be more dangerous. Of course the propellant would be more powerful, but that doesn't mean it will be faster. Try and see, and please tell us the results.

I think its just a waste of expensive perchlorate.

If you want to make your rocket propellant faster\batter, you can add him Red iron oxide-Fe2O3 But i preffer Aluminum sherds (its work great).

Guest pyrokid00000
Just wanted to let you know the results of adding perchlorate to the mix. It changed the sound of the rocket making it a bit louder. It dident change the speed at all, just a waste of perchlorate your right.

Castings of KNSU or KNDX have water in them. The perofrmance of a motor is increased if you actually dry them out. I built a little dessicator using CaCl in the bottom of a airtight container with a little rack that held the motors above the CaCl. After a few days the motors were extremely dry, all stickiness had dissapeared and they become quite brittle. However, I never got a KNDX motor to work (somehow they absorbed moisture when inside a PVC tube. I think it was from the plaster of paris nozzle?)

You are going to need to provide more information than that. Perhaps a ratio of sulfur into the mix, or which mix you used. Sugar does include more than sucrose.

Anyway, for everyone else, 10% extra sulfur does make a nice propellant. It is the formula for the "incredible 5 cent sugar rocket". Presumably, the sugar referenced in sucrose. However any sugar should work with the same ratio.

KNO3 - 63

Sugar - 27

Sulfur - 10

Alright Mumbles, I understand.

Potassium Nitrate 63

Powdered Sugar 27

Sulfur 10

Those are some of the best ratios..

Note: USE POWDERED SUGAR INSTEAD OF GRANULATED SUGAR. It works A LOT better and makes an excellent fuel.

Note: USE POWDERED SUGAR INSTEAD OF GRANULATED SUGAR. It works A LOT better and makes an excellent fuel.

You know, that is the case in almost any pyrotechnic formula... The more powdered the better.

Yes of couse I know but others may not.. It's nice to be a little more specific when talking about "Sugar"... It could be Powdered or Granulated but for this we like Powdered..

Yeah but when talking about sugar you should take into effect type AND particle size. There are many many different sugar's

I love making these, they are easy and cheap to make, and fly pretty well. I just have problems with stability, but I guess that can be remedied by using a longer stick.

I use the standard 60:40 KNO3:Su, melted, with no core, and they fly very well.

How the heck are you getting KNO3/SU rockets to fly with no core?! Are these very small bottle rockets or something?

wow that is very impressing

it is very hard to make nozzless rockets to fly

i have never succeeded doing that

please show us that video

Coreless, not nozzleless, Sason.

I'd love to see a nozzle-less (whistle) KNO3/Sugar rocket that worked! :blink:

What are the dimenstions on your nozzle? And was the KNO3/SU grain fully exposed on the outer surface to the burn (gives a much larger surface area) or was it just an end burner with only the tail end of the grain exposed?

Ive got the rockets made and ready, but its too damn windy to test them.

And the nozzles are 2mm, and it was an end burner (but I may have screwed it up, so it might of had loads of air bubbles in or whatever)