APC Forum

gloves

modelrocket

Hey guys,

What kind of gloves do you wear while setting off fireworks/while making fireworks, if any, and why?

Leather gloves will probably be enough protection against sparks and flames, but what if a cracker explodes in your hand?I mean, I am not planning on having an explosion in my hand, but what if it does happen? What kind of gloves could you wear that will protect you? (Or atleast will make sure your fingers don't go flying around.)

My science knowledge tells me that the biggest concern with an explosion is the shock wave (unless there's shrapnel, but that's normally not the case.), so how does one stop a shock wave?

Examples of gloves one could wear:

leather gloves

wool gloves

canvas gloves

welding gloves

Edited by modelrocket

Kevlar?, possibly? ... but I think a pare of leather gloves will do fine as you shouldn't be lighting things in your hand .. and depending on what it is, your fingers would be the least of my worries ....

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

Kevlar?, possibly? ... but I think a pare of leather gloves will do fine as you shouldn't be lighting things in your hand .. and depending on what it is, your fingers would be the least of my worries ....

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

pair* (not trying to be a dick)

And kevlar might be a good idea, it does get hard on impact so that should mean it'll absorb a lot of the shockwave

Edited by modelrocket

A lot* (not trying to be a dick)

Visco likes to spit fire, I like to have a leather glove on my torch hand when I'm lighting fireworks; I wear nitrile gloves when I mix chemicals.

• Like 1

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2010/03/hurt_locker_sui.php

this page suggests that kevlar gloves might actually work, obviously with fireworks the blast is not as energetic as with bombs so even a small layer should make a huge difference

A lot* (not trying to be a dick)

Visco likes to spit fire, I like to have a leather glove on my torch hand when I'm lighting fireworks; I wear nitrile gloves when I mix chemicals.

thanks, edited it :) I didn't know that was wrong

Edited by modelrocket

Welding gloves when hand lighting with the TS4000 torch. No need for dexterity. When mixing comps, heavy black nitrile for BP and light nitrile for other comps.

I wound up with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170446305713?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=470001211037&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT figuring that between Nomex and the leather palms I'd be pretty well protected from flame and/or flying pieces.

Some folks think a pair of these might be more appropriate:http://www.ebay.com/itm/16oz-Black-Heavy-Duty-Pro-Leather-Boxing-Gloves-MMA-Gym-Training-/151458810683?pt=Boxing_Gloves&hash=item2343a60b3b :whistle:

I've got heavy nitrile for mixing.

A pair of thick leather gloves probably would've been beneficial when I had my accident. I can't guarantee that I'd still be counting to 10 right now, but I do feel confident that my hands would be in much better shape. As for mixing chemicals, nitrile gloves are pretty good for most applications in pyro. I certainly wouldn't want to have them on when handling concentrated nitric or sulfuric acids though.
  • Like 1

As for mixing chemicals, nitrile gloves are pretty good for most applications in pyro. I certainly wouldn't want to have them on when handling concentrated nitric or sulfuric acids though.

+1

though i doubt it likely to come up, if one were using somewhat acidic flowers of sulfur with a nitrate, would a small amount of nitric acid be generated? in any amount to be dangerous in any common composition or to nitrile?

+1

though i doubt it likely to come up, if one were using somewhat acidic flowers of sulfur with a nitrate, would a small amount of nitric acid be generated? in any amount to be dangerous in any common composition or to nitrile?

well the possibility is so slim , and the nitric acid would be extremely weak and wouldn't bother the gloves

I certainly wouldn't want to have them on when handling concentrated nitric or sulfuric acids though.

conc. sulfuric acid hasn't had much effect of my nitrile gloves, but nitric acid is a different story :P

I'm sure acidic sulfur and a nitrate would generate some nitric acid, because you can distill nitric acid from sulfuric and a nitrate salt, but I doubt it would be concentrated or ample enough to react with nitrile. There probably are some situations where it may cause an adverse reaction with something, but I wouldn't be the person to ask. Mumbles?

A pair of thick leather gloves probably would've been beneficial when I had my accident. I can't guarantee that I'd still be counting to 10 right now, but I do feel confident that my hands would be in much better shape. As for mixing chemicals, nitrile gloves are pretty good for most applications in pyro. I certainly wouldn't want to have them on when handling concentrated nitric or sulfuric acids though.

may I ask what kind of accident you had?

Short story long, he was stupid, used glass marbles as milling media, shock the jar lightly when in the process of emptying out milled BP, which caused it to blow up, and he walked away wishing he bought a lottery ticket. He got some pretty nasty burns, but the most significant damage he took, was losing half a pinky. Something that will haunt him in years to come, since now nitrile gloves wont fit properly...

Yes, i'm kidding around a little. He was aware of the marbles being a bad idea, he has confessed that it was a stupid mistake, and he seams to be pretty much "ok" with things as they stand. I think i would have blown a fuse, and still not been calm if i had an accident like his, or Dagabu's. But then again, if your not ready to face a huge fireball, then black powder perhaps isn't a hobby you should get in to... Love these guys to death, their dedication to the art is amazing.

B!

Short story long, he was stupid, used glass marbles as milling media, shock the jar lightly when in the process of emptying out milled BP, which caused it to blow up, and he walked away wishing he bought a lottery ticket. He got some pretty nasty burns, but the most significant damage he took, was losing half a pinky. Something that will haunt him in years to come, since now nitrile gloves wont fit properly...

Yes, i'm kidding around a little. He was aware of the marbles being a bad idea, he has confessed that it was a stupid mistake, and he seams to be pretty much "ok" with things as they stand. I think i would have blown a fuse, and still not been calm if i had an accident like his, or Dagabu's. But then again, if your not ready to face a huge fireball, then black powder perhaps isn't a hobby you should get in to... Love these guys to death, their dedication to the art is amazing.

B!

so a ballmill full of blackpowder explodes into a huge fireball with marble shrapnel flying around and he "only" lost half a pinky and got some burns?

His guardian angel is a very powerfull one.

• Like 1

Actually, I lost my entire right pinky, and part of my hand. Both hands suffered quite a bit of damage, and I had several broken fingers. I broke my right wrist, had a few 2nd degree burns, and one 3rd degree on my inner thigh. I was hit in the face with a large chunk of the rubber jar, and looked like a stroke victim for a few days from the swelling. It's difficult to list everything, because there were so many different injuries, but the pinky was the worst part for sure. There is a thread here with more details, and a few pics of the damage. It was a very stupid mistake, and I learned a valuable lesson in safety that day. Not that this is really pertinent, but I wasn't emptying the jar, I was trying to de-cake it.
  • Like 1

so a ballmill full of blackpowder explodes into a huge fireball with marble shrapnel flying around and he "only" lost half a pinky and got some burns?

His guardian angel is a very powerfull one.

Well, that was the lasting damage. Also, as he outlined, he lost all of the pinky. My bad. Memory, and all that. And yes, the force is strong with that one.

Indeed he is. And I think he's also guarding me :)

You better watch out then. I'm thinking such a feat takes some massive recovery. You might be on your own for now.

And as i said. The force is strong with BB to. Recovery after losing a finger, and being stuck in casts for weeks on end... Can't imagine it even. He was on here only a short time after it happened, either having others type host posts, or tapping away at some sort of pad on his own. I'd be going insane, climbing on the walls.

B!

• Like 1

Actually, I lost my entire right pinky, and part of my hand. Both hands suffered quite a bit of damage, and I had several broken fingers. I broke my right wrist, had a few 2nd degree burns, and one 3rd degree on my inner thigh. I was hit in the face with a large chunk of the rubber jar, and looked like a stroke victim for a few days from the swelling. It's difficult to list everything, because there were so many different injuries, but the pinky was the worst part for sure. There is a thread here with more details, and a few pics of the damage. It was a very stupid mistake, and I learned a valuable lesson in safety that day. Not that this is really pertinent, but I wasn't emptying the jar, I was trying to de-cake it.

may i ask howmuch bp was in the ballmill? And also, what is de-caking? :S

btw I'm nt gnna click that link, pics of pyro related injuries make me feel bad :S

Edited by modelrocket

It was around 200 grams. De-caking is just loosening the powder which has became clumped (caked) to the walls of the jar.

It was around 200 grams. De-caking is just loosening the powder which has became clumped (caked) to the walls of the jar.

that's quite alot O.o

Anyways, does anyone know what kind of gloves would work to stop shock and perssure waves? (or significantly "soften" them)

Nothing that actually would let you work with your hands. I believe your better of trying to wear fire retardant gloves that has a chance at containing & keeping your fingers attached, so that in the event of an explosion your stuck in casts, but get to keep the digits. I'm thinking leather or Kevlar gloves, just of the top of my head.

B!

With fireworks, the pressure wave generated does not exceed the speed of sound like it does with high explosives. The majority of injuries will be from thermal burn and shrapnel. Injuries from the pressure wave would occur if you were holding the device. Distance is your best protection. It does not take too much distance for the energy to dissipate enough to prevent serious injury.

Most pyros wear leather gloves intended for firefighting or welding while shooting. Spark and hot debris protection is my biggest concern while shooting. For club shoots, I typically wear a welding jacket, hard hat with eye and ear protection, leather gloves and long pants. I will admit I have often lit fireworks without them. I know the risks being taken.

Nothing that actually would let you work with your hands. I believe your better of trying to wear fire retardant gloves that has a chance at containing & keeping your fingers attached, so that in the event of an explosion your stuck in casts, but get to keep the digits. I'm thinking leather or Kevlar gloves, just of the top of my head.

B!

Broken fingers just sucks, losing one is forever. If you only break your bones, no biggy (imo)

With fireworks, the pressure wave generated does not exceed the speed of sound like it does with high explosives. The majority of injuries will be from thermal burn and shrapnel. Injuries from the pressure wave would occur if you were holding the device. Distance is your best protection. It does not take too much distance for the energy to dissipate enough to prevent serious injury.

Most pyros wear leather gloves intended for firefighting or welding while shooting. Spark and hot debris protection is my biggest concern while shooting. For club shoots, I typically wear a welding jacket, hard hat with eye and ear protection, leather gloves and long pants. I will admit I have often lit fireworks without them. I know the risks being taken.

So basically leather gloves with kevlar are sufficient?