APC Forum

Coffee Grounds Charcoal

eoneuk

I generate a fair amount of coffee grounds, and thought to try making charcoal for use in black powder. I'm sure someone else already tried, but could find no references on the internet.

The grounds were dried and charred in a retort type container. A 75:15:10 mix was used, moistened with water, granulated, with a final size of +40 -20.

The second video is TLUD mulberry charcoal, the same mix +1% dextrin, granulated and screened to the same size.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether or not to pursue this -- what brand coffee, what roast, what grind,etc., or just forget the whole thing!

b.p. that will give you the jitters...nice! seriously, that looks like some decent powder. may have to give this a try as i go through a decent amount of coffee at home. also much less processing necessary is an attractive prospect.

Interesting about the coffee grounds. I also go through a lot of coffee and the grounds end up in the compost barrel normally.

That being said, the mulberry was much faster than the coffee grounds.

The coffee charcoal appeared to be very fine particles right from the retort. I didn't bother to reduce or screen it, but put it directly in the ball mill with the other ingredients for my usual four hours. I'd certainly be interested in someone else's experience with this material.

Ed

I'll have to give coffee a try. Plenty....5gal per day at my local espresso stand....

Going to cook some alder this weekend....

• 2 weeks later...

Thats genius, it also give me another excuse to get wired haha

http://www.mypixshare.net/files/img/user_uploads/displayimage.php?id=3t2e5cb9r8qo9801031.gif

I was pretty impressed with this powder, so I'm drying some grounds now. I like the idea of not have to crush it after it is cooked, so if it can match or beat out my usual Home Depot 2x4 charcoal, I'll probably start using it.