APC Forum

roger's pyrotechnic offerings and experiments

rogeryermaw

I would imagine that mixing them into the comp like that would be ok as long as you don't let them sit to long before pumping. I think thats what is called is a Matrix comet.

Not always, but "no" to his implication that "matrix" comets always contain dragon eggs.

Not "implication". Not "always". Learn to understand the "?"-part of a sentence.

Well Sparx, this explains that the effect I was looking for indeed exists already. Feel free to post a video anyway, as I would still like to see yours :)

Edited by enanthate

when you said "A matrix comet is with dragon eggs though, no?" you implied that a matrix comet always contains dragon eggs, to which I answered, "No"

Then I clarified to Ddewees that a matrix can contain dragon eggs, but not always.

67% ap
15% cucl
12% hex
6% phenolic resin

wetted with acetone and cut 1/4"-5/16". dried overnight. single coating of kp + 5% mgal.

Edited by rogeryermaw

thank you for introducing me to the hex cured phenolic binding system, dag. no lie, these stars dry rock hard and, so far, have all been easy to light and look quite nice. can't wait for some workshop time so i can really experiment with it. tonight, on the other hand, will be for mixing a test batch of glitters (first try).

So am I Roger, and I'm going unmilled for the first time today.

My D1 look beautiful, look just like I want them to look, but it's all a bit too fast. Nice glitter tail that ends quickly, and they burn too fast. Not milling will hopefully give me the "perfect" D1 I'm looking for :)

Gonna make a stargun to test, do you use alot of lift for it? Or compress the star, hold the pressure in any way?

Barely tried this a bit last year, but stars wouldnt fly high at all.. Care to explain shortly?

my "star gun" is gummed tape rolled on a 5/8" dowel probably 10-12 layers. the stars i test from it are never a tight fit...in fact they usually fit pretty loosely. i generally fire them using about 1-1.5 grams of 3-4f and the stars usually apex about 30-40 feet and use no wadding or anything to make the fit tighter.

generally i try to fire them as hard as possible without damaging the tube to get some indication of how much shell break they can survive and stay lit through.

Edited by rogeryermaw

generally i try to fire them as hard as possible without damaging the tube to get some indication of how much shell break they can survive and stay lit through.

I also fire hard from the test gun. With the larger stars it helps to get them way out/up there, especially if they are changers. The attached test was a bit light on the lift.

oh you are trying to seduce me with chlorates.......I love the color, but I will resist conversion :) nice shell with the reports ! I also liked the blue you have, that with some coal sparks, ahhhh

Matt

• Like 1

thank you much for the encouragement!

kind of disappointing that two of the salutes went left...was sort of going for a square. not too bad i guess as that shell went together in under an hour.

bob that d1 is some sexy comp. can't wait to get mine working. so far the loose burn looks promising but we all know that means little. i made 50 grams today to test with but they won't be ready for anything for a few days.

Edited by rogeryermaw

D1 glitter 1/2" pumped comet made with a comet pump from dagabu.

KNO3......................53%

Milled pine C...........11%

Sulfur......................18%

325 granular mgal....7%

NaHCO3...................7%

Dex...........................4%

50/50 H2O/EtOH.....10% by weight constituting 5% water

Roger,

Have you tried the D1 using straight 325 mesh aluminum?

not yet. i don't have it. it's on my list of stuff to get. this is the first glitter comp i've tried.

I've heard spherical is what you want for glitters - got some on the way to try and confirm that.

Roger, how come everything you do is a fckn success? I think this was some of your first D1, no? Really nice.

You got that golden glitter-tail. Mine is silver, trying to figure why the hell that is. I thought it was FeTi, so have ordered some of that. Your comp doesn't contain FeTi though, but you still got golden glitters. I love the effect! How?

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/56-d1-glitter/?p=153

i just used this information. i used granular mgal because i have read that flake won't make the effect, i don't have the aluminum and i like the mgal because there is reduced problems with unwanted reactions; you don't have to use the boric acid to protect the metal from nitrate.

i have my share of failures too but they usually don't make the highlight reel. not everyone is interested in what won't work but if i test something that does work, i want to share it so if someone chooses to, it's open to be used. i write out my processes and formulae to offer the most complete info i can. i try to illustrate these with video sort of like putting a face to the name.

an example of a failure i've had is with dragon eggs. i've tried a couple of different comps but no success yet. i'm not sure what aspect of my comp caused the faiure. all my chems have worked in other comps except the red lead. it may have some impurities that are causing the issue or it could be something else. or maybe i just don't know how to do it right yet.

i don't claim any of these tests to be my original work. some of it may be but i doubt it. i'm sure it's all been done before, but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Edited by rogeryermaw

I didn't mention but I used spherodial aluminum and do not use boric acid in my D1. I have some rolled D1 that has been sitting a while so when I get a chance will test those to see if any degradation has occurred. Haven't noticed any odd smell or breakdown of the stars.

Potassium Nitrate 0.530 Sulfur 0.180 Charcoal, airfloat 0.110 Aluminum, 325-mesh atomized 0.070 Sodium Bicarbonate, baking soda 0.070 Dextrin 0.040

Rolled w/75/25 w/a
Edited by Bobosan

Why not boric acid?

You're doing a fine job Roger, thanks for sharing.

Any ideas on the goldenglitter though?

Will try to vid a test of my d1, so you can see what I mean.

i didn't use the boric acid because from what i've read, the magnailium is much less likely to be attacked. as far as the color, what does your composition consist of? do you mill it or screen mix? most of my chems are fairly fine as acquired. i used hammer milled haifa KNO3 and didn't need to blade mill any part of the mix. i have read that milling this comp too fine can have adverse effect on D1. whether or not that affects the color, i'm not sure. i'll have to do more experimentation on that.

I meant Bobosan regarding the boric acid.

With mgal the boric acid attacks the mg, so you did right as far as I know.

I did mill the comp (n1 btw, not d1), but it worked very well. Just tested, and I got the golden glitter I was looking for. It was beautiful indeed! Can't wait to see 110 of those in a 6".

I meant to film it, but managed to run straight into my car and dropped the phone, lol. Should've used a longer fuse..

It worked out anyways, vid of the 6 coming as soon as I shoot it. Meanwhile I'm thinking about posting my 4"—tests here if that's allright and of interest?

Coming in a couple of days Will be pumped Slow gold.

enan