APC Forum

Cutting stars into cubes... how?

braddsn

Hey guys...I have noticed in the pic gallery that there are guys on here that cut stars into perfect cubes. How do you do it? I have tried cutting stars a few different ways, but they never come out perfectly cubed. I know it probably doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot, but I tend to try and be too much of a perfectionist.. and I just like right angles! :) I also think that the difference in a 'damn good' shell and a 'perfect' one can be the "little things". hehe. The cubed stars that I saw in the gallery were all exactly the same size. I have tried the patty method, and the loaf method, neither of which produces perfect cubes for me. Thanks!

A trick is to prime them right after, or during, cutting. Just pour dusty BP over the composition.

Now, as to make them perfect and uniform in size - I'm also training for that ;)

A way i really like i got inspired by bangkok pyro is this one:

Combined with the bag cutting method:

You need next to nothing on tools to make the stars (even if I'm sure a frame like it's used in the first movie would be nice, but lack it), and can get very nice results.

Depending on how you work you will need to test if you want to prime them while your stars are still wet.

I prime the stars which are just used to give a center off poured in stars, while still wet, as they tend to round of during shaking in prime, but stars that are going to be stacked i prime after drying, just carefully transfer them onto a newspaper lined sieve for drying. Then prime them after they are dry.

But you will need to test wich way is your way.

The third option would be to make a quadratic pump like TR is do7ng it (the pump can be seen at 5.40):

Edited by schroedinger

I found it's really easy if you parlon bound the stars, and use just enough acetone so that the stars would feel dry but still compress easily. Problem is as soon as it is primed the squareness goes away....

You should be able to cut good cubes using either the patty or loaf box method. Its just going to be a difference in, attention to detail. Weather YOU cut perfect cubes, or not. That and the more you practice, the easier and faster it will be for you. . .

I found it's really easy if you parlon bound the stars, and use just enough acetone so that the stars would feel dry but still compress easily. Problem is as soon as it is primed the squareness goes away....

Depends a lot on your composition. If all you need is a soft dusting of BP, then your going to remain square, if you need 2-3 thick layers of prime, then your going to suffer with dull edges. And as said before, if you can get away with priming once they are dry, they retain the shape a lot better, if you have to prime when they are still wet and soft, they will change shape a lot more easily.

B!