APC Forum

NC lacquer prime

Sparx88

Got me some nc lacquer I made up with hodgdon longshot and acetone. I have to say, mixing in some of my bp with a touch of 3 micron aluminum flake, thinning with acetone to a warm syrup thickness and dipping stars and comets in it has been working quite well. Is this normal practice?

Edited by Sparx88

That's basically a N/C slurry prime. For stars, it's easier/faster to spray them with N/C lacquer. Then apply dry prime to them. Just as if you were spraying them with water, and coating them with a Dex or SGRS bound prime.

Yes that is a technic often used, but if you want to enhance the effect dip the still wet prime in granulated powder to roughen up the texture. Edited by schroedinger

Ah gotcha, cool thank you two. This seems a lot better than having to use dextrin, though it has it's uses still, but this NC way with the spray bottle, that's going to solve a couple problems. Thanks again for the heads up on that yall.

Edited by Sparx88

Sparx88, what type of problems are you trying to solve ?
  • Like 1

drying time, dextrin slowdown, sticky too thick nc dipping fun. sticky gloves get reeeal sticky with this stuff fast. The spraying part is what got me the most.