APC Forum

My first shell.. Finally!

braddsn

Finally!! My first shell, 4" TT. Go easy on me guys, it's my very first one! I was nervous as hell, but it's an amazing feeling to see everything come together and actually work... And thanks to Mumbles, Seymour, Xtreme Pyro, Oinikis, and Rogeryermaw for the excellent advice and motivation. I also sent up a red peony that was absolutely beautiful. It was symmetrical and the stars were very bright. But for whatever reason, I thought I hit record on my cam but I guess I missed the button. I have fine tuning to do, this was only 2 layers pasted. I would have pasted more, but just ran out of time. I used 10% of shell weight for lift (2-4FA), and added 3 grams of flash dusted in the MCRH. Overall, me (and my daughter) were super excited. :)

• Like 4

Wow, your first shell is a 4? Nice... go big or go home! Nice shell, looked good. Luckily, that feeling of excitement never goes away, no matter how many you have made and fired. Good work.

Like you said in the video "SWEET"

Really a quite perfect shell, didn't look sparse not overfilled and broke perfect in a round pattern.

Also what i really liked is the duration of the stars, they just started to swimm but burned out before the got sidetracked and arched over only for about half a second.

I'm 9retty sure if you paste them in propper you can cut down the booster to .5 g or leave it out.

Very Nice ! timing at apogee was great and a comet tail to boot !! Can't wait to see what is next............

Matt

Edit, were the TT cut rolled or pressed?

Edited by mkn

Thanks for the kind words guys! I just built and pasted up 12 more shells to 'test'. The TT stars were cut. :)

Sweet shell. You know that...you got to see it up close! Subbed on YouTube. Keep em coming, Brad. Keep safety in your sights and you'll go far. You obviously have the talent for this.

Means a lot Roger, thank you! And yeah, safety is #1 for sure. That's why I ran so far away from the mortar rack! LOL.. wasn't sure what would happen! Schroedinger, I did not prime them or tumble them. I simply cut em, dried em and used em. :) Tigertail is a winner, because they are super cheap, super easy to make, and they tend to be a lot of people's favorite!

Very nice shell indeed! It had a great symmetrical break and the stars flew fast and straight. I wish my first one looked like that. Did you use paper hemis?

Very nice! I can't wait to see more of your shells. Thanks for the video!

• Like 1

I know Mike likes this for sure as his first shell was also TT and turned out nice. :) I gotta give it to you guys because I was'nt having any luck with TT early on and just gave up and moved to metal fueld stars instead of charcoal. After seeing this I decided it would be a good thing to give it another try.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

haha I cant come close to results like those, beautiful. I like how you said "fire in the hole" XD

http://www.mypixshare.net/files/img/user_uploads/displayimage.php?id=8ifv11ogt4ow6545450.gif