APC Forum

BP KABOOOMS!

Wiley

Hey all, I got the chance to pop off one of my big 2" thundermugs the other day. It had just rained, so I took advantage of that fact by adding a bunch of 10-20mesh Ti sponge into the 4 ounce Pyrodex P charge. The charge, which filled the 6" deep bore up about halfway, was covered with a cardboard disk, and the rest of the bore was filled with white flour, which was compressed with a 2" dowel and gentle, but firm hand pressure. No pounding, no hammering, no projectiles (bread can become a projectile in this case).

I think its cool that you can get a great boom with relatively safe, slow-burning compositions like Pyrodex (or BP if you make your own; commercial is rudely expensive). What's even nicer about these kind of reports is that the low pitch of the sound doesn't hurt the ears like some flash compositions can.

Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8aGFRawaKY&feature=youtu.be

I discovered that BP with some aluminum will make quite a BOOM if just lightly confined and ignited in the middle.

By lightly confined, I mean a tube that was only sealed with 1 piece of gummed tape.

The ti is a nice touch. I would'nt add anything more energetic to the t-mug. Maybe some powdered creamer (you know which one right) mixed with a couple grams of the bp on top in place of the flour With Ti like you did. I hear it makes an interesting fireball effect.

• Like 1

I doubt you'll wind up getting any sort of fireball with a device like this. There's simply too little space for fuel, and the muzzle velocity is just too high to get something recognizable as a fireball. Adding creamer, flour, or stuff mixed with BP like Sparx mentioned, can give a larger and brighter flash to the discharge, but that's about it. I've found that a good way to liven the effect up is with the Ti sponge.

Oh ok, yah, 6" bore, I was thinking 12". I don't know why I thought that lol I like the ti sponge you used makes it more of a grand scale :)