APC Forum

metallic or organic fueled stars

eb11

I have been researching star comps and came across 2 different types organic or metallic fueled what is the difference and what do you guys like better

metal stars use metals as the fuel such as magnalium, aluminum or magnesium and organics use organic(carbon containing)fuels such as hexamine or red gum.

Well the difference is just like the name suggests, organic stars use organic reducing agent like charcoal, red gum or hexamine and most times burn with a lower temperature flame.

Metallic ones are burning much hotter and use a metall like mg, al or magnallium as fuel.

For me there is no real "better type" every type of stars has his ow pros/cons.

Most organic stars give a much more dimm light then metallic ones.

But with blue the organic ones tend to be supreme as a hot blue stars tends to lose the blue color. But for barium greens you will need the metallic ones to achieve a god green.

Also metallic ones give a more brilliant (clean looking) star.

Thats why you have to test it yourself sometimes a certain effect can only be achived by one of those types. For example a dimm organic blue can look really nice if you combine it with a organic red, but if you take an intense metallic red it will mask the blue due to the high light output.

There is another factor also. Organic is cheaper. Mgal is not cheap stuff. I'm an organic guy myself, and yes you can get a nice green with organics.

There is another factor also. Organic is cheaper. Mgal is not cheap stuff. I'm an organic guy myself, and yes you can get a nice green with organics.

Well yes you can get a god green with organics just look into my notes and found the ba chlorate / shellac formula noted as good, but that was the only organic one noted with that mark.

About the metalic ones being cheaper, i have to argue if you make your own mgal it is way cheaper then organic ones. And even red gum is the same price than mg for me and al half of that.

Edited by schroedinger

You do realize that good has 2 o's in it, right? Your spelling and grammar are appalling, and has prompted several messages to me wondering if you're in fact illiterate and inquiring if your advice is to be taken seriously.

I like the metal fueled stars. For the colors. Seems popular that organic blues are deeper blue but even then I add a small 3-5% dark flake aluminum or a combo of that and firefly flake aluminum for short tails. I like bold bright intense colors.

Somewhat related. Has anyone ever really developed or worked with a set of low metal formulas? It seem like most compositions are either 0% metal or 10+% metal. This tends to eliminate blues from the metallic venue. It is possible though if you do it right.

What about a set of formulas containing say 3-5% metal? From experience, you can still easily make bright vibrant blues with a judicious amount of metal. While you wont get the retina scorching Chinese colors, some amount of metal might enhance the color of organic stars without ruining some of their delicate charm. I think this may particularly be suited to improving organic greens without the use of barium chlorate.

Mumbles, I think systems three and four in Pyrocolor Harmony would be a good place to start with that, or table 15 in Hardt. I am planning on making all of the stars in system 6 of PCH, after which I could make the ones in three and four, and compare. What do you think?

I'll have to see about getting that book. It's one of the few I haven't been able to pick up yet. I'm sure there is much more useful information in the book itself, but the formulas themselves are on passfire. I'll check them out at least to see what Joel was up to.

It is one of my favorites, in the reprint he added notes about many of the formulas, which ones stored well etc. I suggested those to try because they are designed to be compatible colors within each system.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat related. Has anyone ever really developed or worked with a set of low metal formulas? It seem like most compositions are either 0% metal or 10+% metal. This tends to eliminate blues from the metallic venue. It is possible though if you do it right.

What about a set of formulas containing say 3-5% metal? From experience, you can still easily make bright vibrant blues with a judicious amount of metal. While you wont get the retina scorching Chinese colors, some amount of metal might enhance the color of organic stars without ruining some of their delicate charm. I think this may particularly be suited to improving organic greens without the use of barium chlorate.

The purple I use is an organic formula, that I add 5% 325 magnalium to. I made some blue awhile back with 3% in it, turned out nice. I think that's really all the more you need to brighten up the stars. I know it does wonders for the purple comp.

I think that is the purple you sent me Psyco, and it is really nice, looked great out of the gun, I am looking forward to building with it this winter.

Matt

What about a set of formulas containing say 3-5% metal? From experience, you can still easily make bright vibrant blues with a judicious amount of metal. While you wont get the retina scorching Chinese colors, some amount of metal might enhance the color of organic stars without ruining some of their delicate charm. I think this may particularly be suited to improving organic greens without the use of barium chlorate

Yeah I did, around 3-4 % MgAl in blue formula's is somewhere near too bright, but good for high altitude shells imo. but that was not a organic formula to start with

There are other formula's with percentage's in that region, (not the whopping amount used in veline) for example the spanish blue's

I use Shimizu Blue #49 and add 1% fairly fine MgAl (-200 mesh) with good results.