APC Forum

Skylighter Strontium Nitrate

LiamPyro

Hi, I just had a quick question about strontium nitrate. I am looking into buying some, but I have heard that it is often very hygroscopic due to impurities. I was wondering if the stuff they sell on Skylighter is pure enough to not be overly hygroscopic, and if it produces good, vibrant reds. Also, is there anything in particular I should know about this chemical? Any favorite compositions that use it? Thanks!

I had a small amount from Skylighter. It came clumped, but was easily ground down in a coffee grinder. By the recommendation of another pyro, I milled it, dried it in a low temp oven and repackaged. I make red things when the humidity is low. I use either parlon or phenolic resin in these stars to take advantage of the water resistant properties once the stars are dry. I have had no issues yet. Strontium nitrate with MgAl produces a very bright, vibrant red. You will be pleased.

The Red Rubber Star project on Skylighter is a great starting point. You can wet the stars with acetone and use the screen slicing method or roll them into a patty and cut them. If you dampen the comp with alcohol, you activate the binding properties of the red gum and the stars pump easily and dry hard.

It is actually the compound itself that is hygroscopic, not the impurities. And yes, Skylighter's chemicals are as good as anybody's. However, they are a little higher in price. If you keep it sealed with a desiccant, you shouldn't have any problems. If it does absorb moisture, you can dry it in an oven or even a crock pot. I like Gorski's rubber stars that you can find on Skylighter. They are definitely red and definitely bright.

Nater just beat me to the punch... :P

Edited by gregh

I had a small amount from Skylighter. It came clumped, but was easily ground down in a coffee grinder. By the recommendation of another pyro, I milled it, dried it in a low temp oven and repackaged. I make red things when the humidity is low. I use either parlon or phenolic resin in these stars to take advantage of the water resistant properties once the stars are dry. I have had no issues yet. Strontium nitrate with MgAl produces a very bright, vibrant red. You will be pleased.

The Red Rubber Star project on Skylighter is a great starting point. You can wet the stars with acetone and use the screen slicing method or roll them into a patty and cut them. If you dampen the comp with alcohol, you activate the binding properties of the red gum and the stars pump easily and dry hard.

Thanks for the info! I have found that oxidizers from Skylighter tend to come clumpy, awhile ago I received some KCIO3 that was mostly hard chunks. Making red rubber stars sounds like a lot of fun, definently a project I'll have to try!

It is actually the compound itself that is hygroscopic, not the impurities. And yes, Skylighter's chemicals are as good as anybody's. However, they are a little higher in price.

On another topic, I heard about "non-hygroscopic" strontium nitrate that is available from some places. It is said to be very pure and free of impurities that supposedly make it especially moisture absorbing. Edited by LiamPyro

I've got ten pounds for $30 if you're interested.

Thanks for the GREAT offer, but that is a bit much for my purposes.