APC Forum

TT cut stars

pyroMIKE

Gonna make some TT cut stars..Is using water the best way to wet this comp? Also how much water 10-20%?Also would 1/2 inch be just right for a 4 inch ball shell? Thanks in advance.

Mike

With TT Water is the way to go. 1/2" Should be ok, but as TT burns quite slow and it is your first try at TT better go for 10 mm to see how your chems behave Edited by schroedinger

The quantity needed is quite high for TT. I'm not sure off hand, but I'm thinking more like 20-30%, maybe even higher. It depends on your raw materials, how long it was milled, if at all, the temperature on the day, and how firmly you compact it in to a loaf.

It is a particularly delicate ballance with high charcoal compositions, with a bit too wet making them 'melt' and a bit too dry making them crumble. Two things to remember is to let it sit for half an hour or so for the water to fully soak through and activate the binder. Make sure you leave some dry mix to one side to rescue it if you over wet.

There will be much trial and error. Happy cutting!

I'm with Seymour on this on all regards. I'd start at 20% and go from there. I find that once the mix sits for a while to activate the binder, adding more water from there actually activates pretty quick. Maybe start at 20%, and let it temper, and then adjust with a spray bottle and kneeding until you get it how you like it. With a loaf box you can go a little drier. If you're trying to roll it out into a patty, then it needs to be a little wetter.

When I'm letting stuff sit and temper, I pack it down into the bottom of my mixing bowl or bucket with my hands and fists. I feel this lets the water distribute better. I also use this as a litmus test to see when it's ready to cut. I pack it down and cut with a butter knife into 6-8 "pie pieces". When it's ready, there will be minimal crumbling and breakage where the cuts intersect.

Cutting them with something sharp helps with not allowing extra hanging on the edges. Thanks mums I got that from you the other morning.

I tested it out with a small patties last night and I was very happy.

I found that with really wet stars like TT, it helps to throw some BP dust on top before cutting them, the blade stays cleaner (for me anyway) and the stars dont stick to much to stuff. YMMV

Like they say, make it wet. I normally wet them really good, and leave the mix in a sealed box for an hour to let the charcoal absorb the kno3.

Just tried my comp out in some 2.5 ball shells..It worked awesome..I added 10% spherical Ti to the comp. They were gorgeous! I thought They were gonna be crap because I put too much water in it( silly putty consistency) but they turned out awesome! Im making a new batch right now and will post a vid or two up ass soon as I get everything made.

Glad to hear!

Would be even better to SEE it! Make videos folks :)

Regarding the water, I don't think you can overwet a TT composition. You really want the charcoal to absorb the kno3-solution, which gives the extra long and beautiful tail.

Here is my second one. 2.5 inch ball shell. Gonna make up some 4 inch ball shells with these stars.Should look pretty good.

http://vid288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/mkillian_2008/photobucket-23980-1414374689306_zpsdf13b8a7.mp4

Edited by pyroMIKE

Glad to hear!

Would be even better to SEE it! Make videos folks :)

Regarding the water, I don't think you can overwet a TT composition. You really want the charcoal to absorb the kno3-solution, which gives the extra long and beautiful tail.

LOL! YES, you can overwhet it... There is a very thin line there, it them turns to mud and you have to let it dry some. The problem is that the KNO3 starts to drop out and crystalize. :o

I had a batch get away from me last year like that. I was impatient and took it from crumbly to slime consistency with a careless dump of water. I didn't want to make more so I spread it out thin on a baking sheet with wax paper and left in the sun. I would periodically mix and knead and after only a day and half, I was able to form it and cut it properly. I didn't perceive any ill effects or notice recrystallization in the comp. Did learn to be a little more patient... for a few days at least.

My very first batch of stars was WET tigertails. They turned out well.

The point is, don't worry about it as long as you don't wet it like a fool.

Edited by enanthate

I have made several batches now.All it takes is a few times doing it and a bit of patience and its very easy to do.

Also i wouldn't worry too much about overwetting TT, specially with non milled batches i had the impression that they burn much better if enough water is provided, to really soaking the kno3 into the charcoal.